Seeking Fellow Irrigators

Replies
Views
Susanne

Is anybody out there also irrigating? I don't see too many people.

Dancingthrough

Hi. I have a colostomy since October 2018. I just started irrigation 2 weeks ago and it is working just great.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,475 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mild_mannered_super_hero

Yes, I have been irrigating for many years. It's a wonderful tool to help you get back a normal, active lifestyle. I hope you will consider trying it if you qualify. Be sure to ask your doctor or stoma nurse if you can.

Puppyluv56

Yes. Started irrigating last June. Makes a huge difference in your life. No more leak worries or having to find a bathroom to empty your pouch! Highly recommend!

Puppyluv

scorsby

Hi.

Irrigation is the best thing that you can do.

Take your time and enjoy it. Remember that what's not inside can't come out.

John

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Pabs72

I started irrigating a few months ago. It has helped massively with my day-to-day life. I thoroughly recommend it.

Puppyluv56

Pabs,

Really glad it is working out for you! It is life changing! Hope you have it all worked out with the right supplies for you. I started with the Convatec supplies and tried to change to the Coloplast Cone and it was not good for me! The shape of it allowed way too much water to splash back and actually fail to irrigate. Had to change back! That is okay because I had some. All is good now!

What are you using for your two-piece pouch? Irrigation's bag?

Jmb1976

I just received the product to start irrigation. Have you tried it yourself?

Pabs72

I use the Dansac irrigation kit.

Puppyluv56

I have not heard of that one, Pabs. Hope it is working well. I thought I needed the temperature gauge in the Coloplast, but really don't need it. Apparently, temperature is not that important except that you don't get the water too hot. Pretty sure we would if it was! Lol

Pup!

Pabs72

Hi pup, it must be a UK brand? I don't have a temperature gauge either. I try to imagine the water is my blood and gauge how hot I estimate it that way.

Little Red

I am fairly new to this, so would someone explain what irrigation is, how it is done, etc. I have a colostomy.

Dancingthrough

Hi. I'm fairly new to this as well. First, you should talk to your doctor to see if you can irrigate. You can ask your stoma nurse to assist you or I walked myself through by watching YouTube. There are many resources here as well.

Puppyluv56

Little Red,

Irrigation is to be done with a colostomy only. If you have an ileostomy, you would not be able to irrigate! It is a process of inserting water into your stoma and attaching an irrigation sleeve. You can sit on the toilet and do it with the end of the sleeve just above the water line of the toilet. Once you put in so much water, it all comes back with all the poo that was there as well. It allows you to wear just a cap instead of a pouch. It is a lot of freedom! You don't have to go looking for a bathroom to empty a stinky pouch! Depends on your lifestyle and the freedom you want!

Hope this helped.

Puppy