Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,338 members

Cutting size hole in Bags

Posted by Mike6952, on Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:11 am

Do all areas receive there bags with the hole already cut out to the correct size or has it to be done individually?.....

Reply by Gemd, on Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:40 am

There are already cut and cut to fit bags.

Reply by Morning glory , on Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:02 am

There are some pouches that have a small starter hole that you can cut to your size. You need to measure your stoma first before cutting. Perfect for those that have an irregular shape stoma.

Reply by Mike6952, on Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:14 am

Yes I know most are but there are some places that supply and not cut I was just wondering how many just supply and have to be cut by yourself 

Reply by weewee, on Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:14 pm

hello i get mine from Hollister i have to cut mine to fit everytime i have to change my cut cause sometimes  my stoma change its shape from being in a scar and not being totally round mine is shaped like a eye. just  like Morning glory said you can order them that way so if your stoma changes shape  cut to fit

Reply by countyclare, on Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:18 am

Greetings,

I have a cutter made by NuHope Laboratories. I don't remember where I got it. I've been using it for many years.

It has a round white enamel handle connected to a round steel cutter. I just place the cutter in the middle of the stomahesive wafer and twist it.

It makes a perfect round hole in the wafer which fits perfectly around my stoma.  

Feel free to contact me if you need further clarification.

Mike

Reply by NJ Bain, on Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:32 am

Mike6952,

I've never seen a pouch that didn't at least have a starter hole like Morning glory said.  I myself use Convatec cut-to-fit one piece pouches because they have more of the wafer material than the precut pouches.  I do this because I have an allergy to the tape that anchors the pouch down and end up cutting off the tape.  So having more of the wafer material to stick to my skin, the better.

I actually use cuticle scissors to cut a custom hole in my pouches.  I just took a Dremel tool to grind down the points on the ends of the scissors so I don't accidentally puncture the pouch.  Been using them for years.

Bain

Reply by mamatembo, on Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:03 pm

I have an oval shape to the stoma with widest part being on the left. I have drawn a template for it. Then I get a box or two of wafers out and outline the template on to each wafer. My son then cuts the box(es) of wafers out with an Exacto knife and it works beautifully.

Reply by iMacG5, on Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:48 pm

I never cut to fit because I use ConvaTec Natura Moldable Skin Barriers.  It would probably be worth getting a couple free samples.  

Mike

Reply by Mike6952, on Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:55 am

Thanks guys for all the information 

Mike

Reply by panther, on Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:55 am

Mine are cute to size, can see your from the UK so won't be problem getting yours cut from your home delivery company and most pharmacys will get them cut to size too you should use the measusaring guide that comes in your box monthly to check your stoma hasn't got smaller or bigger  

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:15 pm

I have used the cut to fit and precut  1” flanges but my stoma changed shape on me and is no long that perfect little round bump . I get a much better fit when cuttin myself since Betty had decided to go Oval! 

Reply by Little Red, on Wed May 08, 2019 4:29 pm

I use Hollister and have two different pouches,  one I cut myself 8331,  and the other I was usiing had already been cut, 8330 and had a smaller barrier,  But Hollister no longer makes it,  so I am looking for another that works the same way,  So far no luck.  I do have a few samples that I sent for and will be trying them.  So I guess to answer your question  I use both.

Reply by xnine, on Sun May 12, 2019 5:45 am

I use Hollister products and they have a size that fits me. I was cutting them at first but now I am good to go.

Reply by Little Red, on Sun May 12, 2019 10:53 am

Here is a little tip for those cutting there own bags,  Buy yourself a good pair of Nurses Bandage sissors  they work well for cutting,  No sharp points to cut  the bag.  I have two pair I use for all bags    Also use a few drops of oil  in your pouch at every empty ( I use baby oil )  it will slide down easier. and not pancake.  It also helps with odor. I put mine in a spray bottle and give my pouch a couple of squirts.

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.