Meet and talk to 20,077 OstoMates

Roe V.wade

Posted: Tue May 28, 2019 4:54 am

Roe v. Wade, 410 U.S. 113 (1973), was a landmark decision of the U.S. Supreme Court in which the court ruled that the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution provides a fundermental "right to privacy" that protects a pregnant womans's liberty to choose whether or not to have an abortion.

Date decided:1973

Ruling court: Supreme Court of the United States

Date argued: 1971

Norma Leah Nelson McCorvey(September 22,1947), better known aby the legal pseudonym."Jane Roe", was the plantiff in the landmark Americn Lawsuit Roe v. Wade in 1973.

Henry Wade was the district attorney of Dallas County from 1951 to 1987, who enforced a texas law that prehibited abortion, except to save a womens life.

Roe has come to be known as the case of legalized abortion nation wide.

This is a a controversial subject-but is in fact a reality that has been existing for years.  There are many who are on opposite sides, but no doubt this is seemingly going to be challenged.

Sad to say, Rape continues and also incest. There simply monsters in the world.  We are parents, grandparents, siblings and family period. What are your thoughts?

Though we all differ in our opinions on this, if you share be civil . (please)

Best Wishes,

Angelicmarie

Posted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:06 am
It should be up to the woman and her doctor and nobody else.
Posted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:22 pm

Angel,

Sadly, we are slowly (or maybe not so slowly) marching back in time. As said by Santanyana, "Those who do not learn from the past are condemed to repeat it."

Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 1:37 am

Hello Angelicamarie. Thanks for another interesting post. My own take on this subject is not so much about the abortion issue but about bullying.

When you say that there are monsters in the world, it is the bullies in all their guises that spring to mind. People who wish to dominate and subjugate others to make them conform to their will rather than have self-determination and freedom of choice and direction in their lives. Traditionally, it has mainly been the males of the human species who have been the bullies, but as we have 'progressed'. there has been more and more cross gender bullying and this seems to be evident by an increase in the numbers of women entering the political scene. I am NOT AGAINST THIS CHANGE BUT, FROM MY PERSPECTIVE POLITICS IS A MAGNET FOR POTENTIAL BULLIES who use the legislative system to make laws so that they can bully others by proxy.

I also contemplate the concept of 'pro-life' and wonder whether the same people who want to stop abortion are the same people who are willing to kill people and other animals in other circumstances.   I wonder why they are not pushing to save every sperm that was ever produced, as surely these are also living things. For me, this whole debate seems to be about bullying!

Best wishes

Bill   

Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:46 am

ron in mich, many feel the same way you do. There’s strong opposition that willing to change that law. thanks ron for sharing.

Last edited by Angelicamarie on Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:40 am; edited 3 times in total
Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:50 am

Xerxes...  what you have shared is so true..

Thanks for sharing Xerxes.

Last edited by Angelicamarie on Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:58 am

Bill... funny that you would say they wish to dominate. That seems to be what is taking place now. Though it seems like we have progressed in some ways were taking steps back. Thanks for going in great detail.. as always your comments are appreciated.

Thanks Bill...

Last edited by Angelicamarie on Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:42 pm

Hi Angel! Maybe, as a 78 year old man I don’t have much authority to suggest how women should care for their bodies. I am, however, part of this human race that has evolved with and without government controlling the size of our ecosystem and who inhabits it. Now I’m asking for permission to scream my thoughts relative to the hypocrisies surrounding this issue and it’s side effects. I don’t know enough words or how to put them together to appropriately express how I feel about this matter. Right to life? What does that mean? What right do we have to dictate a woman must give birth to an infant born from rape or incest? Who are we to determine an infant’s life is more important than it’s mother’s? That woman could be the mother of that unborn infant’s siblings whom would become motherless. How dare we hide the thousands of sexual molestations of our innocent children by the clergy? How about “Right to protection”? How many infants and young children are starving? Does anyone believe women would carelessly or recklessly get pregnant just because it’s OK to get an abortion? How many lawmakers couldn’t care less because it doesn’t involve them? How many lawmakers couldn’t care less because, if it did involve them, they would just pay for the procedure and let that be the end of it? n
Sorry. What do I know?

Mike

Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 2:39 pm

Mike...We”re imperfect people, that make mistakes. Some pay and some don’t pay for their mistakes. Heck I can’t Imagine how a child or women feels who was raped by a sibling or a stranger. Nor should I have the right to decide if they were impregnated to carry. They’re health reasons that could determine the procedure to abort. Should we hide sex molesters, of course not and I wouldn’t do so. it’s a coin that has many sides and there many people on different sides.  You and Bill really got into this discussion,your input has been very much appreciated.

Thanks Mike..

Last edited by Angelicamarie on Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:47 am; edited 3 times in total
Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 3:34 pm

Hey Bill, I’m so thankful we have some thinkers here like you, Xerxes, Ron and Angel. I guess I get so angry I lose any ability to reason this stuff out. I wonder if this whole thing should be a debate. Assume we’re intelligent, mature adults with no prejudices. Never mind! That’s probably stupid to expect. Forty or fifty years ago I felt so differently. Actually, three years ago I felt quite differently. Every day I’m faced with more questions about who we are and where we’re going. Where are we trying to go? I’ve never experienced such discrimination before. I feel like we’re taking sides relative to race, gender, religion, and anything else by which we can categorize people. Together we can solve almost anything. Our division today seems to just create more problems each day and magnify those existing.
Thanks for those of you who offer hope.
Sincerely,
Mike

Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 12:27 am

What does Roe vs Wade have to do with this site for OstoMates? 

Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:39 am
luckylady wrote:

What does Roe vs Wade have to do with this site for OstoMates? 

Hello Luckylady.

Thank you for your comment as it something that I have often asked myself when contemplating what (or if) I should post or blog on this site for ostomates.

You will see that my response to this post was to compare the concept to 'bullying' and this is where I see the relevance to how people with 'differences' and vulnerabilities' are treated by those with hard held dogmas and prejudices, who are inclined to foist their views on others.

There have been many posts on this site about how people with stomas and related conditions are sometimes treated by those who have an innate desire to dominate and humiliate people who are different to themselves. This unacceptable behaviour can trigger a reaction (usually psychological and/or emotional) which needs some form of external expression in order to help the individual come to terms with the assault and move on.

When people use a site like this, it is often in order to come to terms with traumatic events in their lives which they do not feel they can discuss adequately with their immediate family and friends. Sometimes, when the correspondence has been going on for some time, it feels as if the people on this site are indeed friends who are willing to listen to our concerns about stomas and perhaps other things that might be bothering us.

Recently, I asked my wife to post on here to let people  know that I had experienced a heart attack ( and a triple bypass). This post recieved many replies of support for which I was most grateful. The heart attack had little or nothing to do with the stoma or how I cope with it. However, I did post a follow-up blog documenting in rhyming verse how the heart attack had affected my thinking and coping. Composing and writing  rhyming verse was a very similar technicque to that which helped me cope in the early days of stoma adjustment.

The point being that many of us who post on here do not feel entirely defined by the stoma and have other interests besides. I rarely reply to posts which are purely 'jokes', but that doesn't mean that I do not appreciate them or that I want the posters to stop. In fact, every now and then I will express my appreciation for posts which are not directly stoma related. I do this because I feel that it is important for people to have somewhere to express themselves in whatever way they wish and feel that they are being listened to.

I know that this is a grossly inadequate answer to your own question  but also hope this goes some way to indicate that there may well be personal connections between subjects that, on the face of it seem to have little or no connection at all.

Best wishes

Bill     

Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 2:10 am

luckylady.. There many ostomates who are mothers and fathers . They’re ostomates who are child bearing age and pregnant, and don’t forget about the teenagers that are affected. I thought this would be a good topic for discussion. 

Best Wishes,

Angelicamarie

Last edited by Angelicamarie on Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:00 am; edited 4 times in total
Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:34 pm

Thank you, Bill for an excellent explanation of a part of all our lives. Being an ostomate might influence our feelings about every aspect of our lives if we let it. You know better than most how our emotions are affected by our physical dilemmas and we should all be thankful for your contributions.
With gratitude,
Mike

Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:36 pm

Luckylady, Roe v. Wade has to do with almost every American who has attained the age of reason. We’re all entitled to our opinions and hopefully we can involve ourselves in learning what stuff is all about so we can be helpful and supportive to others. Being an ostomate doesn’t remove that entitlement.
Respectfully,
Mike

Go to page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.