Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,317 members

Insulted by program “undatables”

Posted by Mike6952, on Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:34 am

Thank you for that Puppy x

Reply by ron in mich, on Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:17 am

My ileo. was on the right but i had resection surgery last april and now mine is on the left, after 30yrs. on the right it was awkward having it on the left.

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:19 pm

Smile

Reply by britathrt60, on Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:48 pm

Mine was on the right until after a failed reversal....it has been on the left for 18 years now.
i have an ileostomy.  cheers everyone!

Reply by LightsGoOut, on Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:28 pm

On the right

isnt it because of how the colon sits and the small bowel starts

im left handed so before my stoma nurse drew all over me with a circle on the right side in ink I was very tempted in rubbing it out with my finger!!!

Reply by Mike6952, on Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:41 am

So it seems to the right well if anyone meets any one it should not get in the way so to speak 😏

Reply by Newbie Dana, on Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:04 pm

It's not just a matter of the ostomy. There will always be TV programs that are exploitative in order to try to catch an audience - and we all know who that audience is: people wo feel so bad about their OWN self-image, they need to see others they think of as "inferior" or "undatable" so they can feel better about themselves. In a way, it's a whole segment of the population that has absolutely nothing to do with me or my ostomy or my life. Life is too short to get upset about THOSE people! If you need to get it off your chest, write a letter to the show, stating that their show is demeaning, exploitative, insensitive, and bullying, and you are taking note of their advertisers and will avoid their products. Do NOT say it is because of labeling people with ostomies as undatable - it is because they are labeling ANYBODY as undatable. Because if you object to ostomates, but not to the others with disabilities being called that, you are being as insensitive as they are! I'll just bet somebody in a wheelchair right now is seething because they labeled a wheelchair-bound person "undatable"! And so on and so on, round and round. In a way, I feel sorry for those whose world is so constricted; mine certainly isn't! And, ps, my husband doesn't mind my ostomy a bit, and we have an active romantic life.

Reply by anyark, on Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:24 pm

Usually ileostomies are on the right and colostomies are on the left.

Reply by sunasea, on Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:31 pm
You seem very sweet and nice, I'm sorry you are single, I'd be honored to be your date
Reply by TomFTW, on Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:15 am

You are gorgeous!  You remind me of a young woman I dated in college.  I think we have to be more outgoing than usual to get noticed sometimes.  I would date you in a heartbeat if we lived on the same  continent!

Reply by Br37, on Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:42 am

My urostomy stoma is on my left side. It used to be on my right side, but I had to have a complete revision and now it is on my left side.

Reply by Mike & Nuisance, on Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:24 pm

This is nonsense. A pragmatic approach would be a good idea. Not all blokes will like the idea, ditch these & move on. Others will be curious, and others fine. There is a discussion as to when to mention it. I mentioned it when things were getting romantic (led to marriage). Orhers say mention early, I'd advise giving them a bit of time to get to know you as you. It may become apparent by illness and treatments etc, so those could be  a lead in. Do not appear obsessive about it, but laid back. Your approach to it may influence their approach. Hope this helps. 

Reply by Mariposa, on Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:59 pm

Mine is on the right.   

Reply by Mike6952, on Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:24 pm

Thanks Mariposa x

Reply by honestabe, on Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:17 am
Been on 5 dating sites! No problems with bag!
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.