Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,179 members

The Evolution Of Social Media

Posted by Angelicamarie, on Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:12 am

This is the evolution of social media, that is, as I see it. First, there were internet chat rooms, followed by My Space and Tender. Now we have our current platforms such as Facebook, Twitter and Utube. "You remember Craigslist, it's still out there and thriving."

And we have our very own site, MeetAnOstomate (MAO)). we come to this site to listen, learn, communicate and share with each other. We spend minutes, hours and days searching this site for answers. Sometimes, we find a friend for life. And sometimes, we feel like we really don't belong here. But in the end, we persevere. Because, deep down, we are each others social media. We all crave to learn something new, at least that's my opinion.

Of course and by no means is my list of available social media platforms all-inclusive of what's out there. We have Netflix ,Hula,Roku, Amazon and Google. The aforementioned platforms allow us to stream movies and various forms of Arts and entertainment. Bottom line is we use social media to express ourselves, find ourselves and others. Heck, some of of us not only lose ourselves on social media, some of us even lose our minds!

Many of us use Utube to learn different things, such as health issues, music, cooking, etc. Some of us choose to share our time and provide useful information, yet we are quick to judge and give our opinion along with a heavy dose of critisism. Why is that? Is it our nature or just your nature? Which is so crazy when there so many subjects for all interests. "I'm just saying."

Then we have the traditional media Platforms such as CNN ,NBC, Fox news and various radio stations of all generes. From these platforms, we gather and consume vast amounts of information. Armed with this information, we go on social media  and express our thoughts, views or opinions. Again some good and some bad. Some of us discuss politics while others discuss love. Some are just looking for a distraction or a getaway from our crazy environments. Social media has impacted our world like no other weapon before it. Why? Because our greatest weapon is us. Social media has certainly evolved and we too must evolve.

Respectively

Angelicamarie

Reply by scorsby, on Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:22 am

Hi.

A very well thought through and researched post.

Love it or hate it social media is here and here to stsy.

Will it ultimately be a blessing of a curse ?

Time will tell.

John 

Reply by kmedup, on Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:28 am

Hi,

I always love reading what you write. An insightful narrative.

I have an on-going love-hate relationship with social media. My "new rule" is to unplug completely on the weekends. It is amazing the time I have now to - well for instance - fish, play slow-pitch with the neighborhood, read, volunteer at several music festivals, play the piano again - and did I mention … fish. On the way to a lake in Northern Alberta I spotted a lawn bowling facility. Hmmmm ....

Karen

Reply by Angelicamarie, on Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:32 pm

I hear you Karen, I like utube at times. But your busy as a bee. Lol

Angel

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.