Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Dating 20,920 members

Ostomy reversal

Posted by Lrasphong, on Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:56 am

I have had my stoma since sept 24th 2019 and iam due to have a reversal done around Thanksgiving week I was told by the surgeon but the the incision where the stoma is sticking out of has got smaller from like a 32 to about a 26 oval shape does that usually happen? Also I'm so ready to go back to work... Just need advice about how much longer should I expect to be unable to go back to work and the difficulties of moving around after the surgery. Sorry for having run on sentences.  Any response will be appreciated.

Reply by iMacG5, on Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:51 pm

Sorry Lrasphong, I'm not sure I understand the 32  and 26 sizes.  Beyond that I guess you're thinking of not going back to work until after the reversal.  About 3 weeks after I was first reconnected I was hitting golf balls and doing other stuff that wasn't as much fun.  Our healing times will probably differ as will our emotional and psychological dispositions.  I suggest you ask the surgeon, your other doctors and your stoma nurse.  Their opinions might be more valid for you.

Respectfully wishing you the very best,

Mike

Reply by Lrasphong, on Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:18 am

Thanks for responding but what I meant was the size of the incession for my stoma to come threw. Also I have a restricted to only lifting 10lbs it's hard to run the CNC machine. So what I wanted to know was what was the average time for anyone to return back to work with no restrictions. Also seems like the nurses and surgeons over estimate alot of things and contradict each other, that's why I would rather hear from people that have actually been threw the procedure.  Sorry wasn't more specific. 

Thank you mike for responding and the well wishes 

Reply by iMacG5, on Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:44 pm

I need you to know, Lrasphong, I have no medical training and everything I know about this stuff is from my own experience and from the kind, caring, compassionate people here.  Now, I think a reversal around Thanksgiving might be too soon.  I think limiting the weight of what you lift to 10 pounds is overly cautious but I would totally avoid anything that causes you to "grunt".  Use your legs, use your arms but don't use your gut muscles.  Being overly cautious might be way better than being a little careless.  Again. I'm not trained in this areal but I am somewhat experienced.  Please keep asking all the right people then make a decision you feel is right.

It will all work out for the best.

Mike

Reply by Lrasphong, on Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:10 pm

Thanks for responding agian mike

Yeah I think 10lb restriction is over doing it. I started walking and everything normally agian after my staples were removed  about 2 weeks after my surgery.  I feel perfectly fine only problem I have is looking at this bag with the residue from the poop. They told me my body is healing really fat maybe due to me being 35. Not sure ,I appreciate any advice you give me because sometimes it seems like the nurse and the surgeons always contradict each other that's why I come to this site to research and ask question. The best advice is from the people that live threw it and are still living threw compared to someone reading it threw a text book. My opinion only. I'm sorry if I'm just rambling, my mind is just scattered sometimes. MY surgeon told me sometime around Thanksgiving but the hospital called to follow up and I told her I was having a reversal and she looking into it and it said in the computer it showed up for mid November.  So I then called my surgeons office and talk to a receptionist and he told me it also said it would be mid november and he would be talking to me about this in my next few up which is Nov 7th. It's all just confusing and then to think about how long after it would take me to heal then, my job telling me the most they can hold my job for was 3 months which I was in the hospital since sept 19th. I'm sorry if I'm just rambling on about different things just a little worried about the surgery and things.

Thanks for giving your advice it means more than you know 

Also thanks for the kind words .

Reply by w30bob, on Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:26 am

Hi lra,

Why did they give you a stoma in the first place?  I'm asking what was the medical condition they corrected that resulted in them giving you a temporary ostomy? Was your surgery done laproscopically or was it  open surgery? When you say your incision went from 32 to 26 are you talking about the diameter of your stoma in millimeters or something else?  It does sound like you heal quickly, which is great. The 10 lb limitation seems overly cautious, but it's designed to cover all possible cases.  For example, if you just pick something up from a table in front of you and turn your body and put the weight down your putting almost no strain on your abdomen. But if you pick up that 10 lbs from the table in front of you, then hold it out at arms length (say to put it up on a shelf) you've easily tripled the stress on your abdominal  muscles. You have to remember that your abdominal wall has also been stitched back together, not just your skin, which is usually stapled. Your skin, which is exposed to the air, heals quicker than your abdominal muscles under your skin.....and if you bust those stitches you will not be a happy camper. So just use common sense......if you lift something or need to stretch to get something and you feel a stretch in your abs then stop what you're doing or put down whatever you're lifting.

That said, three months to be back at work with no restrictions is cutting it awful close......assuming you don't do any heavy lifting at work. If you're just working a CNC machine and you use a lift or have someone help you load the machine then you should be fine. If you think you'll be lifting 50 lb blocks of steel or aluminum by yourself to load the machine then you're going to be in trouble. Regardless, keep an eye on your incision post-op and make sure there's no signs of infection (pain, redness, swelling) either at the incision or under it. Complications are pretty common, and are easily dealt with if caught early.

Glad to hear you're getting a reversal.....I'm jealous.

Regards,

Bob

Reply by Lrasphong, on Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:56 am

Hey Bob thanks for responding

I had diverticulitis, I had air pockets and a abscess so they had to cut some of my intestines out. The size I meant was the incession that the stoma sticks out of but it really dont stick out any more ita inverted beneath the skin. Your right about the CNC I usually always load thing by myself. Seems as though the limitations they put are really overly cautious .I havent had any form of real pain besides my first week after surgery. The surgeon told me couldnt drive my first week . How long before Iam able to drive agian usually? I see my home health aid today so I will ask her. Thanks for responding bob

Enjoy your day hope it's a good one.

Reply by w30bob, on Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:47 am

Hi Lra,

Ah.......I understand. Seems Diverticulitis is pretty darn common these days.  You should be able to drive as soon as your incision isn't too painful.  What they want you to avoid here is stretching you abs too much. Like if you decided you needed to reach something on the back seat and you leaned back and stretched and twisted your body to reach it.  They don't want the internal stitches to pop, so they want you to limit your extreme body movement so there's no pulling on those stitches.  But if you don't do anything crazy and your incision doesn't hurt there's no reason you can't drive.  Now if you get rear-ended and someone pushes your steering wheel thru your gut........don't tell them I said it was ok to drive. 

I understand now what you were talking about with the 32 and 26........you were talking about how far your stoma protrudes from your abdomen.  Got it. Sounds like you're healing real well and you're in good spirits, so keep up the good work.  For you there's a very bright light at the end of the tunnel........and it's really NOT a train! 

talk to ya,

bob

Reply by lovely, on Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:07 pm

Hi Lrasphong, I can understand you having a lot of questions. Each person does heal at different levels, some I think depends on age.I would advise you to make a list of all your queations before you talk to your Dr or nurse. I have found it is so easy to get to talking and forget to ask something then remember it when you get home. Of course that may just be me ( the age thing LOL)   Some of us are not eligable for reversals hope it works out good for you. Anyway wish you good luck.

Reply by Lrasphong, on Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:22 pm

Thanks for your kind words LOVELY

You are right 100% I always do forget. The reason I hate asking my surgeon and nurse questions is because they always seem to contradict what the other one says. 🤣🤣🤣 But I will ask and then look on these forums for answers also and compare them

Thanks for taking the time to respond means more then you know. Have a nice night Lovely and god bless

Reply by lovely, on Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:31 pm
Lrasphong wrote:

Thanks for your kind words LOVELY

You are right 100% I always do forget. The reason I hate asking my surgeon and nurse questions is because they always seem to contradict what the other one says. 🤣🤣🤣 But I will ask and then look on these forums for answers also and compare them

Thanks for taking the time to respond means more then you know. Have a nice night Lovely and god bless

I have found a lot of good information on this site. Everyone is so nice and willing to share their experiences and knowledge. You have a good night.

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.