Hollister's Thinner Pouches: Unexpected Change and Product Improvement Notice

Replies
Views
lovely

We had a lot of talk about Hollister changing their pouches and making them so much thinner. Also, they did not give us any warning about it. I got my second order of the thinner ones this week. They had put a flyer in the boxes this time saying "Product Improvement Notice." The three things they said were the reasons for changing were: 1- better for the planet, pouch film has less chlorine; 2- better visibility, more transparent helps with application and improve visibility during use; 3- High quality. Nothing changed, will continue how it functions.

w30bob

Hi Lovely,

Thanks for that info! I'll be ordering my next 3-month supply of ostomy products in another week or two...........so I'll see what they tell me when I order and ask if the bags have changed. I've only worn the new thinner, clearer bag a few times now........and so far so good. But it just doesn't give me any "peace of mind" when I wear it, as it seems so flimsy and thin. I'm afraid I'm going to tear it. Time will tell, I guess.

Regards,

Bob

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,456 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

britathrt60

I'm sure Convatec is making thinner pouches, probably for the planet.... Personally, I don't think that they should. We need as much protection as we can get, and maybe we will have to change more often, which is more money out of our pockets and more waste into the planet. Mmmmmm, I wonder if disposable diapers for babies will be thinner? Just sayin'

Angela

iMacG5

Hi Angela.  I spent about 50 years in the plastics industry involved in everything from Landau car tops to condums.  I wouldn't be scared by the thinner material.  It might be even stronger and maybe less crackly.  

As for the diapers, when my kids wore them we used the toilet/washer/clothesline process.  Don't think we could've afforded disposing of anything if it meant we needed to replace it.  We weren't that much older than our babies and not much wiser.

I don't think we need to worry about the thickness of the plastic.

Respectfully,

Mike

newyorktorque

I'm the skeptical one. I can't help but think they are making more money this way, regardless of what they have to say about the environment. I remember their barrier prep wipes used to be the size of a small cloth. Now it's just this tiny tab with hardly any prep juice on it. I don't remember any warning of this either. Yet they did not use the advertising phrase 'new and improved'.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
britathrt60

Hi Mike.... Thanks for the info on plastics... Less crackly would be good... I too used the toilet/washer/clothesline process... My grandkids laugh when I tell them about the good old days.

Cheers

Angela

lovely

I think the thinner ones crackle more and are harder to clean. I use a sprayer that is for cleaning diapers; it connects to the water line at the commode. I like that with the thinner ones, you can see what and how much output you have. But then there are some thicker ones that have the cloth material on both sides of the pouch. I have gotten both, and I think I like the thicker ones by Hollister, the 18123. JMO    

iMacG5

Thanks for the info, Lovely.  If the thinner ones crackle more it's got to be a different film recipe.  Geez!  Thinner and more crackly doesn't sound good at all.  I don't think I'm paranoic but then I didn't think I'd be other things like a big C survivor or an ostomate.  My engineering training is encouraging me to call the manufacturer to learn more.  In the meantime I'll try to be optimistic.

Respectfully thankful,

Mike

britathrt60

Hi Lovely

Thanks for the info. I agree with you about the thinner pouches. Are the Hollister ones Velcro or clamp?