Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Dating 20,700 members

Pain in abdomen

Posted by 2marilyn2, on Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:45 pm

Hi All,

i have an ileostomy and for a week now I’ve been having pain in my abdomen mostly on the right side. The pain is now travelling about and the area around and behind my stoma is swollen.  I’m very aware after I’ve eaten of the food moving through my intestines which I’ve never felt before and I’m feeling a lot of pressure as if my insides are about to burst!  I’ve had two blockages so know what that feels like, this is different!  Anybody experienced this! Ta!

Reply by iMacG5, on Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:09 pm

Hi Marilyn.  I indicated "liked" because you shared with us.  I certainly don't like how you feel and now you need to share with your surgeon, WOCN or Primary Care Physician.  Please let us know how you make out.

Respectfully,

Mike

Reply by warrior, on Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:52 pm

Im surprised you're out of the hospital so soon. I agree with mike above. See someone.  Are u staying fluid? Lots of water? Hope it passes soon.

Reply by 2marilyn2, on Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:49 pm

Hi Warrior,

 

i think you misunderstood, I’ve had my ileostomy for two years now and have had two full blown blockages over that time but these symptoms are different!  I’ve had them for a week now!  I’m having bloods done tomorrow morning to check for infection and if no infection my GP will refer me to my surgeon!  I just wondered if anyone had experience of my symptoms and what it turned out to be!  Thank you for showing an interest, take care!

warrior wrote:

Im surprised you're out of the hospital so soon. I agree with mike above. See someone.  Are u staying fluid? Lots of water? Hope it passes soon.



Reply by lovely, on Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:00 pm

Hi 2marilyn2, Just want to say I hope they find the problem and it will be a quick fix. Best wishes

Reply by warrior, on Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:17 pm
2marilyn2 wrote:

Hi Warrior,

 

i think you misunderstood, I’ve had my ileostomy for two years now and have had two full blown blockages over that time but these symptoms are different!  I’ve had them for a week now!  I’m having bloods done tomorrow morning to check for infection and if no infection my GP will refer me to my surgeon!  I just wondered if anyone had experience of my symptoms and what it turned out to be!  Thank you for showing an interest, take care!

warrior wrote:

Im surprised you're out of the hospital so soon. I agree with mike above. See someone.  Are u staying fluid? Lots of water? Hope it passes soon.




ya I misunderstood, read it too quickly thinking its only been a week or so . my bad.,  i have never experienced blockage. nor the feeling or something traveling  throughout my small intestine. i consider myself lucky that way. knock wood I am living fairly easy.    u really have to chew food.. and keep up water intake i was told. and i do eat alot of soft foods.. which produce  semi solids output..   i am about 3 yrs into my ilieo. i am concerned what you feel moving that might be gas.. but u say u actually feels like it's food..  that is very bizzare.  geez..  what were the previous blockages ??  how'd you get out of that situation??  to me, a blockage would likely result in say a cord kernnel not being chewed.. or brocolli..  or hard stem fruit/veggies..  pop corn...  even gummy bears might do it for me i dont know. i stay away from the 'dont do" foods cause i simply dont expereiment when things are well going for me..  i guess a blockage is like being constipated??  hard food getting stuck.. hmm. let us know what dr. says.. interesting thread. thanks for sharing. Warrior

Reply by Bill, on Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:01 am

Hello Marilyn.  There have been times in the past when I have had similar symptoms to the ones you describe. They have been variously caused by blockages, wind and less than digested food. I tried all sorts of different remedies but the one that works best for me is Metamucil. Unfortunately, it is not available in the UK but my daughter ships it over from New Zealand for me. I believe you can get it on the internet. 

However, as with most things to do with stomas, every-body is different and what works for me, may not work for you.  The other word of caution is that very rarely, the gut gets twisted and causes a serious blockage; I think they call it a strangulated hernia. This needs to be treated immediately. Thus, with all these conditions, it is best to have  an expert diagnosis so that you know what your dealing with and can treat it accordingly.

I hope it all gets sorted soon.

Best wishes

Bill

Reply by Marinalouise, on Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:20 am

I'm interested in your outcome. Good luck and hope you get sorted soon. 

Reply by NewlifeVictoria, on Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:36 am

2Marylyn2.      Hi! How are you feeling? I can relate to you, I been. Going through pains myself and there's a couple that don't believe me! Why would I lie? I just went to my gastro he said you need to talk to someone who's a surgeon and i will go see her soon! I must say I'm always in pain 😢 and not able to do much I have a hernia behind stoma to like many others. I'm sorry you have all this pain too🙏🙏🙏 I'm going to keep you in my prayers ,,, I know people don't understand our pains and things some of us go through... we're all different but like I said some don't understand or believe me!! I'm here if you want to chat 🙏🙏🙏🙏 Have a great day! Sincerely Victoria 

Reply by ron in mich, on Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:04 am

Hi Marilyn i had pains similar to you before i had resection surgery and my stoma moved from right to left, if i had eaten a heavy meal the painwould start behind my stoma and then radiate across my stomach, i would start drinking more fluids like green tea or juices and try to get it to move. when i had the surgery they removed about a foot of small int. and said it was reduced in size due to scar tissue from crohns disease, my old stoma was retracted from an inch sticking out to about a quarter inch and the opening pulled to the right side skin level. hope you get yours sorted out. 

Reply by NewlifeVictoria, on Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:19 am
ron in mich wrote:

Hi Marilyn i had pains similar to you before i had resection surgery and my stoma moved from right to left, if i had eaten a heavy meal the painwould start behind my stoma and then radiate across my stomach, i would start drinking more fluids like green tea or juices and try to get it to move. when i had the surgery they removed about a foot of small int. and said it was reduced in size due to scar tissue from crohns disease, my old stoma was retracted from an inch sticking out to about a quarter inch and the opening pulled to the right side skin level. hope you get yours sorted out. 


Ron Hi I was wondering do you have pain now? Mine is weird and it could be from gas and scar tissue it's very scary to suffer in pain or uncomfortable feelings and pain and I also had 3 surgeries in 2017 7 months it was scar tissue strangling me ( had Chinese food) and I had to have surgery and they moved my stoma and took 5 inches of small and at that time I didn't have pain, I got sick and vomiting and fever went to ER ...  Im praying  never nothing like this happen ever again! I know i need to get a good doc( my surgeon nicked my bowel went septis and ICU) 😢 to keep me from so much pain and stress is not good it makes it so much worse!Awesome to here you had a stoma for wow wow that's great! I know I need to people who get it!! I'm sure you do.🤗 Also I hope your doing good living a good life! That's good your married ( you have a great caring good hearted wiife!

Reply by ron in mich, on Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:44 am
NewlifeVictoria wrote:
ron in mich wrote:

Hi Marilyn i had pains similar to you before i had resection surgery and my stoma moved from right to left, if i had eaten a heavy meal the painwould start behind my stoma and then radiate across my stomach, i would start drinking more fluids like green tea or juices and try to get it to move. when i had the surgery they removed about a foot of small int. and said it was reduced in size due to scar tissue from crohns disease, my old stoma was retracted from an inch sticking out to about a quarter inch and the opening pulled to the right side skin level. hope you get yours sorted out. 


Ron Hi I was wondering do you have pain now? Mine is weird and it could be from gas and scar tissue it's very scary to suffer in pain or uncomfortable feelings and pain and I also had 3 surgeries in 2017 7 months it was scar tissue strangling me ( had Chinese food) and I had to have surgery and they moved my stoma and took 5 inches of small and at that time I didn't have pain, I got sick and vomiting and fever went to ER ...  Im praying  never nothing like this happen ever again! I know i need to get a good doc( my surgeon nicked my bowel went septis and ICU) 😢 to keep me from so much pain and stress is not good it makes it so much worse!Awesome to here you had a stoma for wow wow that's great! I know I need to people who get it!! I'm sure you do.🤗 Also I hope your doing good living a good life! That's good your married ( you have a great caring good hearted wiife!


Hi Victoria no i dont have pain anymore like i had before the resection surgery, the only discomfort i have is if i eat gassy foods like chili.

Reply by NewlifeVictoria, on Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:48 am
ron in mich wrote:
NewlifeVictoria wrote:
ron in mich wrote:

Hi Marilyn i had pains similar to you before i had resection surgery and my stoma moved from right to left, if i had eaten a heavy meal the painwould start behind my stoma and then radiate across my stomach, i would start drinking more fluids like green tea or juices and try to get it to move. when i had the surgery they removed about a foot of small int. and said it was reduced in size due to scar tissue from crohns disease, my old stoma was retracted from an inch sticking out to about a quarter inch and the opening pulled to the right side skin level. hope you get yours sorted out. 


Ron Hi I was wondering do you have pain now? Mine is weird and it could be from gas and scar tissue it's very scary to suffer in pain or uncomfortable feelings and pain and I also had 3 surgeries in 2017 7 months it was scar tissue strangling me ( had Chinese food) and I had to have surgery and they moved my stoma and took 5 inches of small and at that time I didn't have pain, I got sick and vomiting and fever went to ER ...  Im praying  never nothing like this happen ever again! I know i need to get a good doc( my surgeon nicked my bowel went septis and ICU) 😢 to keep me from so much pain and stress is not good it makes it so much worse!Awesome to here you had a stoma for wow wow that's great! I know I need to people who get it!! I'm sure you do.🤗 Also I hope your doing good living a good life! That's good your married ( you have a great caring good hearted wiife!


Hi Victoria no i dont have pain anymore like i had before the resection surgery, the only discomfort i have is if i eat gassy foods like chili.


I guess I should say pain it's uncomfortable  and it's gas for me but I don't eat a lot of different stuff and now I'm doing black coffee and smoothies and soup and nothing like chili omg or salad or anything like that I have to say I'm uncomfortable they say it can be scar tissue idk just pray to have good days and be ok! Sincerely Victoria 

Reply by 2marilyn2, on Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:58 pm

Hi Bill,

Thanks for replying! I contacted my stoma nurse who thought it wise to get checked by my GP. as I’m still having output she is thinking it might be an infection!  I had bloods taken this morning, hopefully get results tomorrow.  I have had two full blown blockages and had to be hospitalised, second time I was taken off a cruise ship to a hospital in Rhodes, that was scary but I have to say got very good care and was sorted out within four days!  So knowing the pain that causes I’m feeling this different, my stoma came about because of bad adhesions from a colon cancer op, I’m just hoping it’s not the adhesions playing up again!  We’ll see just have to work through it!  You have been through the mill yourself I noticed, hope you are keeping well now! Cheers!

Bill wrote:

Hello Marilyn.  There have been times in the past when I have had similar symptoms to the ones you describe. They have been variously caused by blockages, wind and less than digested food. I tried all sorts of different remedies but the one that works best for me is Metamucil. Unfortunately, it is not available in the UK but my daughter ships it over from New Zealand for me. I believe you can get it on the internet. 

However, as with most things to do with stomas, every-body is different and what works for me, may not work for you.  The other word of caution is that very rarely, the gut gets twisted and causes a serious blockage; I think they call it a strangulated hernia. This needs to be treated immediately. Thus, with all these conditions, it is best to have  an expert diagnosis so that you know what your dealing with and can treat it accordingly.

I hope it all gets sorted soon.

Best wishes

Bill



Reply by 2marilyn2, on Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:02 pm

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your concern, I’m on it, GP is doing bloods, so far I’m avoiding the drama of hospitalisation, should get results of bloods tomorrow!  Take care!

iMacG5 wrote:

Hi Marilyn.  I indicated "liked" because you shared with us.  I certainly don't like how you feel and now you need to share with your surgeon, WOCN or Primary Care Physician.  Please let us know how you make out.

Respectfully,

Mike



Reply by 2marilyn2, on Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:04 pm

Hi Lovely,

Thanks for your good wishes, GP is on it!  Take care!

lovely wrote:

Hi 2marilyn2, Just want to say I hope they find the problem and it will be a quick fix. Best wishes



* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.
All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Currently online: 12    
3 members & 9 visitors
kstyle (f)
lovely (f)
 
 
Welcome to MeetAnOstoMate - the largest online community for people with an ostomy.
If you have questions or just want to meet and chat with others, join us and enjoy our great community.