Best bag for hernia or bulge? Hollister bag keeps breaking off.

Replies
Views
Past Member

Hello fellow ostomy persons

Can you help with this dilemma? I've only been an ostomate since May.

It can be frustrating sometimes. What is the best bag for a hernia or bulge? Mine keep breaking off with the Hollister bag and tape.

Thank you for your response.

Cplumber

Whatever you use, add a belt or hernia support belt. They keep products in place. I wear a belt of some sort 24/7 and I get at least 7 days between changes.

Good luck.

Chris.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,466 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Puppyluv56

They have an inverted flange on Convatec flanges for hernias. It looks like a cone to go over the stoma. I imagine they have them in all brands! I would certainly call and find out. I have never used them, so I'm not sure how well they actually work.
Puppy

PETey.13

Astronomer,

To your existing flat wafer, you can add Hollister Adapt Barrier ring. Or you can use a 2-piece system such as Hollister pouch 18114 and the 14404 convex flange. For added security, use spray adhesive Adapt 7730. Another option is Coloplast Mio 1-piece convex with the Brava Elastic Barrier strips. You can use the barrier strips and/or the spray adhesive with either of the first two options. As stated earlier, secure all with a hernia belt. I hope either of these 3 options will solve the leakage problem.

lovely

I don't have the problems you have, but I do use Hollister products. I have called and talked to them before about a problem. They were very helpful and sent me samples. Hope you get help with this.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Lou G.

Hey,

I had a similar issue 2 years ago. The best advice I can give you is to go see an ostomy care nurse. Every body has a unique body/situation. An ostomy nurse sees a ton of different scenarios, and usually has a much better knowledge of all available products/pouching systems. He or she will be able to guide you to the best solution.

In general, if you have a bad hernia, a one-piece pouching system is best. Pety13 is spot on with his recommendation of barrier rings/strips. I personally use strips, since they are more customizable, and make rings out of them. These rings will help create a better gasket around the stoma and mold into the deeper creases of your skin. Hernia belts are key as well because they keep the skin flat against the base. Additionally, you need to make sure you are cutting the correct opening in the base for your stoma. You generally want to have 1/8th inches of space all around. An ostomy nurse can help get a good measurement. Furthermore, make sure that you are shaving any hair around the stoma. The hairs can affect the longevity of your seal. If you have any raw/wet skin around the stoma, make sure you also use the crusting technique with stoma powder and skin protective barrier wipes. You can google that technique. Very effective in terms of allowing the skin to heal up, and give you a better seal.

Hope that helps give you somewhere to start. Good luck.

LG

Past Member

I love Hollister's tape-on, but with my bulge, I'm zipping through these bags. Coloplast is sending me samples of bulge bags.

Past Member

Thanks, I appreciate all feedback.

Past Member

Thank you

Past Member

Thank you very much