Vintage barn art: Check out my 1995 masterpiece!

Replies
Views
w30bob

Hi Viking,

Well..........I guess I need to find out where you're getting those bags.......so I can wear one with my hat when I hit the beach this summer.   Should confuse the shit out of everyone! (Pun always intended).

Regards,

Bob

kmedup

Hi Bob,

I get a kick out of the directions this thread goes; it's one of my favorites. Historically, I even learned about "tobacco" structures, thanks to MMSH.

I stopped posting and replying briefly because I am swamped, even on weekends, with online instruction for several institutions. I knew my curriculum design training would come in handy one day. So glad I can help these post-secondary students finish their courses for the year.

Carry on, K.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,485 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

GraphX12

Hey Bob, great post! I agree we need "relief" from the norm from time to time.

I wish I could say I own a cool barn, but all I have is a drawing I did of one. A few years ago I was commissioned to do a drawing for a writer whose fondest memories are from growing up on her grandfather's farm, and specifically, playing daily in an old barn on the site. That old barn was so important to her that she wrote a short story about it.

When I examined the reference photos she sent me, I fell in love with it too – all those interesting textures and shapes; all those stories buried deep within its dilapidated walls; all the fun those young, imaginative "explorers" must have had through the years.

So when asked what my fee would be, I shot her a quote I hoped she would jump at. "If you would grant me the rights to the drawing allowing me to make giclée prints, I will give you the original art for free," I told her. Yep, she did jump at it.

So here is a copy of it in digital form:

"If That Old Barn Could Talk"
Graphite on paper
16" x 20"

GraphX12

By the way, Bob, nice work on the barn! Love your painting!

Bill

Absolutely BRILLIANT!! and a great backstory.

Best ewishes

Bill

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
mild_mannered_super_hero

I don't know about the barn, but I bet that fence is still standing... Three railroad tie N braces to support that little gate is way plenty! Do you know where it was located? What part of the country?

w30bob

Hi Graphx12,

Wow. I'm a bit blown away. That's an amazing drawing. I'm not the best judge of art.........but I've tried my hand at some Bob Ross paintings years ago (no laughing) and came to quickly appreciate an artist's "eye", which I'm lacking. I'm still sitting here shaking my head at how great a drawing that is.

I had to look up what "giclée prints" are.........so you can see I'm a "no-clue" when it comes to drawings. I agree with you......if that barn could talk......wow. So do you sell your drawings? Do you have a website where we can see them? Might just want to get one of those "ice jiggly" prints of yours.

;0)

Bob

lovely

What a great picture, Graphx12. I used to wish I had that talent. Thanks for sharing. Stay safe.

GraphX12

Hi Super, the barn/farm is located in Arkansas. I believe the barn is long gone, but you could be right about the fence :-)

GraphX12

Thank you kindly, Bill!

GraphX12

Thanks for the kind comments, Bob! Hey, I used to watch Bob Ross too, along with his predecessor, Bill Alexander. Something soothing about those shows.

I have sold some of my work. I'm actually a retired graphic artist – did a lot of freelance work in my early years before signing on with a company. I lost that job due to my initial ileostomy surgery and had to retire. Fine arts is my first love anyway so it felt good to get back into drawing and painting. Doing it at my leisure these days.

I do not have a website and the only "ice jigglys" I have left are of the barn... unless you're a Chicago Bears fan ;-)

GraphX12

Thank you for the kind words, lovely. You be safe as well!

kmedup

Wow. You are very talented; time to do some more - how about Covid-themed. Just a thought. Karen

GraphX12

Thank you, Karen! Not a bad idea, but to be honest, I'd like to try to forget about this virus stuff for a while :-)

newyorktorque

Somehow I missed this post and all these great photos of barns. So Bob, what animals are you keeping in the blue painted barn?

w30bob

Hi Torquey,

Animals.....I like that!  The barn has a tack room and 4 stalls.  My two horses share the one big stall (but they only use it at feeding time and are out in the pasture the rest of the time), I keep hay in 2 stalls and I've got night boxes in the 4th stall for my ducks and geese.  There's 2 chicken coops you can't see in the pic for the chickens as well as the goat's house.  I'm building the turkey's coop now.    

Regards,

Bob