Sparkling Water and Ostomy Bags: Ballooning Issues?

Replies
Views
Past Member

Does anyone drink sparkling water? If so, how does it do with your bag? Does it produce "ballooning"?

w30bob

Hi tmn,

I assume you mean carbonated anything? I drink it all day and night and it doesn't affect me one bit, but I'd assume the more bowel you have intact....the more of an affect it can have on you.

Regards,

Bob

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,465 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

moonshine

I have an ileostomy bag and if I drink seltzer later in the afternoon (after 4pm), it does produce more ballooning during the night - however, I am in bed by 9pm.......so if you go to sleep later than you likely could have the carbonation later

looking forward

I drink it lots and if it starts ballooning I just empty. I do not drink it at night but it does help with my constant thirst.

Past Member

I don't drink it, but I do drink way too much Coke! Occasionally, my bag balloons, but mostly no problems. It's easy to deal with as long as it's not trapped wind inside you....just try it, the only way to see if it's okay for you.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

Thank you & you're so right!

britathrt60

Hi tmn

I can't drink any fizzy drinks. It gives me terrible gas pain. I've tried cola and different sodas but they don't work for me. I get ballooning all the time though and burp the bag quite often.

Stay safe.

Ange.

Tickpol

I try to make them go as flat as possible. I've found that Diet Dr. Pepper is the easiest to tolerate by taste. Sugar speeds up my system.

You may want to put EZ-Vents on your pouch so you can vent when it's purely gas

Dave

Puppyluv56

I have not had any carbonated drinks in years. Once a doctor told me that drinking any carbonated beverage expands your stomach, leaving empty space and sending a message to the brain to feed it. Not a good diet plan! Haha

I have tried a few times, but it is like a million explosions on my tongue, like an Alka-Seltzer. Just cannot do it. Lol

Pup

Ali Canada

Any carbonated beverage causes ballooning, which is easy to remedy by burping the bag. However, I think not drinking it late at night is best as the ballooning continues and it wakes me.

Rubyford

I drink sparkling water sometimes. It is just water with added carbonation and sometimes, flavorings. Club soda, on the other hand, has added salts to neutralize the acidity of the added carbonation.

Whichever sparkling water it does not produce ballooning at all. You can check this guide FAQs to clear some of your quotes related to it like:

Is sparkling water bad for you?

Is sparkling water bad for your kidneys?

Does sparkling water cause weight gain?

I personally feel except some hard sparkling water all others are fine for my body.