Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Relationships 22,1K + members

Ileostomy loop reversal questions

Welcome to MeetAnOstoMate.org
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:35 pm

hello all this is my first post thank you in advance for your replies and thanks to the Administrators who put this forum together. So I started off with perforated bowels during a surgery then had multiple surgeries. I developed a enterocutaneous fistula and after that a small bowel blockage. For awhile I had a wound fistula bag I wore then had the fistula and small bowel blockage taken down then went home with a Loop ileostomy bag for 4 months. I had a recessed stoma so had so many problems with leakage. Finally the loop ileostomy reversal and it’s been 3 months I occasionally have solid stools but mostly loose and very frequent like 6 times a day and soon after I eat or drink. I stopped coffee today and trying not to eat fried food. I take a few 2mg Imodium per day it doesn’t help much. I was thinking of making a appointment with a gastro doctor not sure if it normal after 3 months post surgery. Thanks for any input
John

Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:17 am

Hello John. 

Sorry to hear about your ongoing problems. It often takes a while for the system to settle after surgery, but 3 months would seem to be a reasonable time to have waited for it to do so. I think your idea of talking to a gastro doctor is a good one, as they can do some testing to see if there is anything else going on which cannot be detected by just guessing!

I do hope everything turns out okay for you.

Best wishes

Bill 

Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:48 pm
Bill wrote:

Hello John. 

Sorry to hear about your ongoing problems. It often takes a while for the system to settle after surgery, but 3 months would seem to be a reasonable time to have waited for it to do so. I think your idea of talking to a gastro doctor is a good one, as they can do some testing to see if there is anything else going on which cannot be detected by just guessing!

I do hope everything turns out okay for you.

Best wishes

Bill 

Bill
Thanks so much I really appreciate the reply I can't imagine why I'm still having issues after 3 months but we shall see.

Thanks again 

john

Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:23 pm

Hi John.  You certainly have been through a lot.  Thanks for sharing with us.  There are lots of wise, caring folks here who have experienced some of the stuff you are and, I think, they'll provide you with some comfort.  Mine is a colostomy so I'm not a good source for ileostomy advice.  Please keep us posted as things get better for you.

Respectfully,

Mike

Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:04 am
iMacG5 wrote:

Hi John.  You certainly have been through a lot.  Thanks for sharing with us.  There are lots of wise, caring folks here who have experienced some of the stuff you are and, I think, they'll provide you with some comfort.  Mine is a colostomy so I'm not a good source for ileostomy advice.  Please keep us posted as things get better for you.

Respectfully,

Mike

Mike I can't thank you enough for the nice words I'm so happy I found this forum with such great people I hope you are well stay safe. 
best regards 

john 

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.