Strange Lump After Using Leg Weights?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Pharmgirl

I hope someone can help me. I recently started using leg weights in order to strengthen my legs. After a day or so, I felt a strange internal lump where my rectum used to be. There is nothing on the outside, but I feel it when I sit down or walk. I had a CAT scan done, and the doctor found nothing. I had an internal exam done, and the gynecologist found nothing out of the ordinary. I'm pretty much at my wits' end as I don't know who to see now. My operation was 5 years ago, and this is my first snafu. Has anyone had this experience before? Any help is appreciated.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,098 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Cplumber

Sorry, I haven't experienced that. But I can pray!

Praying.

Cplumber.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Bill

Hello Pharmgirl.

If you have had internal examinations and nothing was found, then the diagnosis become a bit of guesswork.

What you describe does not seem that different to what I experienced prior to my stoma operation so, I will share my experience with you.

Basically, I had a prolapsed anus which was entirely on the inside and was like a big painful lump, which also obstructed the passage of faeces. When doctors examined me they found nothing and I was about at my wits end trying to fathom what it was. After insisting that there 'must' be 'something' wrong, I was examined by a very young doctor ( mind you - they all seem to look younger nowadays!) who asked me if I wouldn't mind standing/balancing on the toilet to be examined. In no time at all he diagnosed a 'blind/internal anal prolapse' and suggested I have surgery to put it right. (apparently the prolapse happens via gravity, so when I was lying down to be examined, it did not show up).

The first surgery meant stitching the walls of the anus to the spine; that didn't work and they tried a few more things which also did not work. Eventually they suggested that the only permanent solution would be a colostomy. That worked very well for years, but recently the same sensation and pain has periodically returned. I now presume it is the result of the anal stump prolapsing again because it happens when there is an excess of mucus inside.  The only permanent solution to this would be a 'barbie-butt' and the surgeon explained that this is a major operation, which he did not recommend unless it is as a last resort. So far I have managed with the aid of anal irrigation and pain management techniques.

I have no idea whether this information might be helpful to you but I thought I would share it anyway.

Best wishes

Bill

w30bob

Hi Pharmgirl,

Never had a similar experience, but if your doc is saying there's nothing there..........you need to find another doc! It always pisses me off when a doc dismisses a patient's complaint or issue. Bill may have hit it on the head when he mentioned the condition was position dependent. What you need is a CT/MRI scan done while you are in one of the positions that you feel the lump. I don't know if there's a teaching hospital near you, but those are the folks you want to be seen by. If you're already going to a teaching hospital......ask to speak to the department head and tell him he needs to figure out what's going on with you. Sorry I can't be of more help.......but don't take "no" for an answer..........that always leads to much bigger problems down the road.

Regards,

Bob

Mark1070

I'm wondering if it's possible to get a small hernia at that location?

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
kmedup

This is a really interesting post (Bill's especially) so I will keep watching it to see what transpires. Just K.

lovely

So sorry you are having such problems. Please stay on top of this and don't let it go too long. Ask your Dr for references if he can't find the problem. Keep us informed of your progress as it may help someone in the future. I can add my prayers to Cplumber's. Best wishes and stay safe.

ron in mich

Hi Pharmgirl, sorry to hear you're having problems and no answers. I've found that when I lift something a little too heavy, I will have a sore back, but I've never had swelling or a lump. I agree with others that maybe a second opinion is in order. Good luck.

Lily17

Hi, Pharmgirl

I totally agree with Bob: find another medical professional. And if they don't give you a satisfactory answer - perhaps paired with an MRI and/or other diagnostics - see another doctor! I like Bob's idea of going to a teaching hospital: newer tech, more open minds.

You have a legitimate concern and know how your body feels better than anyone else. Pay attention to your inner voice saying that something is off/wrong. Continue to be your own advocate and be persistent! Many of us know that some issues will not improve without medical intervention. Don't wait.

Lily17

Pharmgirl

Hello everyone,

Thank you all for the helpful comments and suggestions. I am seeing another doctor next week, a colorectal surgeon. I will keep you updated. It actually is starting to feel a little bit better which makes me wonder if it is in fact a pulled muscle. Just another reminder that when we think we have this whole thing figured out, sometimes unexpected things happen! Glad to have this forum and the feedback of so many helpful people.

w30bob

Hey Pharmgirl,

Glad you're seeing another doc. I did a little digging after posting my reply and didn't find much regarding what you are talking about. Your glute muscles can certainly get sore, but that usually manifests as pressure on your sciatic nerve, which would feel as pain in your lower back or side that can travel down your leg as far as your knee.....not as a lump. Rectal cancer or any tumor in that area should be easily detectable......so you don't have that. I'm curious to hear what the surgeon says. Thanks for the update.

Regards,

Bob