Gas Issues

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Quietdreamer28

I have this gas that seems to be "trapped" inside my intestines (PS I'm an ileostomate). I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on how to get it out. It's going on close to a week now of everyday like this. I take Gas-X and it might help a little, but not as much as I would like. I know not to drink through straws, bottles, no chewing gum... so on. I know certain foods cause gas so I'm careful what to eat. I just want to know how to expel this trapped air. Any help please??

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

lottagelady

Hi, I know this might sound really dumb, but how do you know it is trapped gas? I'm not sure I would know....? Rach xx

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Gus

Might be a small blockage maybe, drink lots and lots of water, see how that goes.

junopete

I have that problem from time to time. As Gus says, drink loads of water.
My surgeon, who is the sharpest doctor I have ever run into and the only one who would take me on after the others botched the job several times, has a lot of credibility.

He says I am getting a kink in my intestine. Although the intestine will pass the waste, the gas gets trapped and kind of has to build up to overcome the kink or fold in the intestine. He said it will work itself out in time, and he was right. It took over a year. I still get a tiny bit of it once in a great while. I would get terrible gas cramping, mostly in the evening.

Sounds like you know most of the tricks to not swallow air when you eat or drink.

I hope you get it figured out and get better.

Rick.....

Past Member

Wow, I didn't know about straws! How do we drink a milkshake?
Also, watch gassy and greasy foods.
QD, is there less gas as a colostomate?

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
weewee

I use Liquid Beano. It helps with all the foods that cause gas. I just squeeze about ten drops on my tongue. Taste is not too bad either. For me, the tablets didn't work fast enough, and this also stops the build-up of gas. Pretty fast-acting.

Mr1981Neil

If it is trapped gas, then you could try some simethicone capsules.

Google search "simethicone" or "simethicone capsules".

banshie3by5

I help peristalsis (gut movement) by massaging my abdomen in clockwise circles. When I get a gas bubble, I also pat my tummy firmly, like burping a baby. Laugh, but it works for me and my kids.

junopete

What Banshee says I have done. On me, it is a little to the left of center. If I apply a firm but steady pressure with my fingers, it will kind of deflate and the trapped gas will exit.

The other poster was mentioning liquid Beno, I am going to try that. The pills can work if a person takes them well ahead of time, sometimes.

If you buy the Simethicone(sp), get the generic, it's the same stuff about 1/2 the price.
They usually come in two strengths.

Good luck

Rick.....

Quietdreamer28

It's not a blockage. I know this much since I just got out of the hospital. It started out as this cramping that led to no output, then I got put in the hospital over the weekend (last weekend, thus a week ago), and I was dehydrated, so that slowed to nearly stopped my intestinal movement. I drink lots of water now, don't want to go through that mess again. Anyhoo, that's when all these trapped gas issues came about. My doctor said that it's normal, but dang, a week so far and it is far from pleasant. I've massaged the area all over to no avail. The only thing that slightly helps is if I lay on my side, then some gas comes out. I've tried the Beano, aka simethicone tabs, not the liquid though, so maybe I will go get some of that.

Quietdreamer28
Oh, far beyond frustrating. I had typed out a whole response on here, then my internet froze and kicked me off. Okay, briefly because I don't want to retype everything. It's not a blockage. If you read my other posts, you will see I was in the hospital twice in February, once for surgery and the other for dehydration, which is where I think this gas is stemming from (at least that's when I started). I've tried the Beano, aka simethicone tabs, but not the liquid kind. I should try that. I've done the massaging thing, but that doesn't work. The only thing that kind of slightly works is if I lay on my left side, then some of the air comes out. My ileostomy is on the left side of my abdomen only because that is where my colostomy was, and my surgeon thought it best to keep it in the same area and not make any more unneeded cuts during surgery. Maybe because the intestine is pulled off to the left side of the body, whereas otherwise it would be on the right? I don't know, just wish this gas would go away and stop bothering me.

Okay, now to copy this so if my internet freezes again, I'm not retyping for a third time. Haha.
Quietdreamer28

LOL, so I posted that again, and geeze, after I posted the 2nd one, I see the first did, in fact, post. Ugh, oh well.

Gus

You're doing great, dreamer. Keep posting like that and you'll be in the prestigious Hall of Fame as the most prolific poster. Hehehe.
budd002

I too just got out of the hospital with a blockage and have/had bad gas build up as well. It seemed every time I sat up I would let out a huge burp and my bag was gassing up more than filling up. I also have/had the egg/no taste burps. My kids are so used to me not having manners when we are alone, I just let out as big of a burp as I can. I also rub my tummy in a circular motion to get things moving. Maybe I'm waiting too long to take a Beano. I found it seemed to create more gas for me, maybe I need to take them earlier when I'm going to eat.

Jax
Hi QD and others

As you suggested, an ileostomy is generally on the right side of the body due to where the ileum is. When I spoke to my Stoma Nurse once on a subject like this, it is this way because of the situation of the organs involved. When the ileostomy is on the right side, the small bowel has a kink of some sort (so I remember it this way) and that could be a possibility of why you are having these problems. Surely enough of a thought to ask your doctor/surgeon.

Hope this gives a thought to ask the question and a possible reason.

Jax

If I am wrong, please don't hold it against me...
Past Member

Hi.. I have tried a few things that may help you.... Orange Juice. Milk.... or even a soda... that will help you... also when you eat anything like a big dinner I learned to drink just a bit of a soda to help digest and pass the gas through... 4 years of it I learned and taught myself a few ideas because doctors can't help or have no idea what to do...... hope this helps.... Autm

Quietdreamer28

Yeah, I think it's starting to "die down" a little now, still not great but getting there. I agree that the doctor really has not the best idea of how to fix the situation unless he/she too has an ostomy. The doctors can only give learned from books or word of mouth answers, so yeah.

Gus, I shall only post this once... hopefully haha so no gaseous hall of fame for me.