Why is my output green?

Replies
Views
harapavlou320

Hi, when I was changing my pouch, I noticed that my output was green. Why is that?

patrickrichardson1946

Have you been using some kind of deodorant in your pouch?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,468 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

TerryLT

Hi there, this could be the result of a couple of different things. Your profile doesn't say whether you have a colostomy or an ileostomy. If you have an ileostomy, your food doesn't have as much time to digest, and if you eat spinach or other green leafy vegetables, it can come out looking pretty much like it went in. If your output is very loose and your transit time is very short (the time from eating something to it exiting your body) it can also come out green, as the enzymes in your bowel don't have time to break down the bile in your stool, and turn it from green to brown. It can also be caused by some supplements. If your output is always green, I would probably talk to your doctor about it. If it is just happening once in a while, it's probably nothing to worry about. Always good to check though.

Terry

Deziner

Green is from bile; made in the liver to break down fats plus a lot more. I'm guessing you're not eating much. Bile flows when there's no food to treat.
Hope this helps.
Sharon

Bill

Hello Harapavlou320.

Thanks for the question - which has already recieved some good replies. It used to amuse me when my output was different colours so I wrote a rhyme to make light of the situation:

If your post had come earlier (like 10 years) I could have written another verse:

"There are various hues of green

the likes of which I've never seen

in my colour-full rag-tag-bag.

Best wishes

Bill

IN MY COLOUR-FULL RAG-TAG BAG.

Right from the start
I sensed there was art

I’ve so often said
the cherries stay red

And to my delight
all nuts stay white

There in my sack
the currants stay black

I tell you my fellow
the sweet corn stays yellow

Blueberries too
will keep their dark hue

Those carrots stand out
bright orange they shout

I perplex and frown
as I ponder the brown

A vortex soup of colours blend,
a pot of gold at rainbows end

Were I an artist like Matisse
I would paint a masterpiece
from my colour-full rag-tag-bag.

But I am just a simple poet
rhyming words is how I show it
from my colour-full rag-tag bag.

I use the rhythms and the rhymes
to tell of smell and raw enzymes
from my colour-full rag-tag-bag.

The subject matter won’t get worse
by placing it within a verse.
The ostomate as graduand
will be the one to understand
my colour-full rag-tag-bag.

B. Withers 2011

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
harapavlou320
Reply to Deziner

Thank you all for your replies, all much appreciated. I have an ileostomy. Thanks again.

harapavlou320
Reply to patrickrichardson1946

Not used anything other than skin barrier spray

Ritz

Mine is orange when I eat sweet potatoes... green when I eat spinach... brown with beef. I'm an ileostomy and when I have grape juice it's purple.
I was told when I had tomato soup and I freaked out due to the red; it wasn't blood. I guess I'm entertaining my toilet!