Swimming with an Ostomy Bag: Leak-Free Tips

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic provides tips and advice for swimming with an ostomy bag to ensure a leak-free experience.
knobby

Hi,

I was on my high school swimming team long, long ago.

But now, wearing an ostomy bag, I'm afraid to. I don't want to have any leakage into the pool.

Any ideas of how to prepare for pool or beach swimming?

Thanks,

Rod

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,089 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

The only thing I can say is there are all kinds of videos on it, just Google. I haven't been in a pool in quite a while since all this nonsense of cancer treatments started. Being on chemotherapy and dealing with rectal cancer, I was running to the bathroom constantly...no possibility of being in a pool during that. Having surgery and hardly being able to move...no possibility of being in a pool until that healed. Dealing with a radiation wound that wouldn't heal and having to go through HBO treatments, I had to get tubes put in my ears (which I only recommend if they knock you out for the procedure)...no possibility of swimming with tubes, gotta wait for them to come out. I love water and being on a lake but it's been so long, I may have to start over and doggy paddle for a while. The only solid advice I have is if you see, swim like hell cause it's chasin' ya. Good luck, great activity.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Earth Angel

Hi Rod,

I've had my ostomy for almost four years and I use my swimming pool all summer long and have never had a leak or issue whatsoever. If you have good supplies and a good fit to your stoma, you shouldn't have a problem in the water.
I went to Turks and Caicos last May and was in the ocean all day long and didn't have any issues other than the fact I needed to change my appliance more frequently because after all the time I spent in the water it did loosen up the wafer.
I am a beach girl and love my pool so I would never give that up if you love the water.
I think once you try it and see, you'll feel more comfortable.

Best of luck to you,

w30bob

Hi Knobby,

I too have a pool and use it all summer long. Now I don't stay in it for hours, or do any aggressive swimming or diving... but I've never had a problem either. I do wear a belt and wouldn't swim without it, but that's just me. If you have good adhesion and aren't having leaks now... being in the water won't make much of a difference.

If you're not comfortable... just take it slow. Go swimming for a few minutes and if all is good, extend the time you're in the pool. If you wear your barrier for a long period of time normally, I'd suggest you swim at the beginning of the period and not on the last day, when adhesion might be going away already. So it's trial and error at a rate you're comfortable with. I don't think anyone on here has ever posted having problems swimming, but I've only been on here for about 7 years. And it's also possible I missed it or forgot about it. But I've always been concerned myself about swimming... and haven't heard of or had a problem myself.

Regards,

Bob

Axl

Geronimo, big splash

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
ron in mich

Hi Knobby, I've had my ileostomy for 30 some years and never had a leak swimming or sitting in a hot tub. I use Nexcare pink waterproof tape around my wafer and that has never failed.

knobby
Reply to AlexT

Thank you, Alex. Great suggestions!

Past Member

Hello, my name is Phyllis and I have had an ileostomy for about 30 years. I have traveled around the world with it and have gone swimming with no problems. The company that makes the product I use, Convatec, even made a video of me. Here is the link to that video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q1KP5wpWugARBh6lb9Zb2mIajMmvEtHh/view

Please do not be afraid to swim with your ostomy because I swam all over the world with mine and had absolutely no problems.

Good luck to you,

Phyllis Rovner

knobby
Reply to Earth Angel

Thank you, Earth Angel. Sounds like I just have to jump into the pool. Fear is the enemy of progress.

knobby
Reply to w30bob

Bob, sounds like I've been missing the fun. Time to get going! Thanks!

knobby
Reply to Axl

You convinced me!

knobby
Reply to Anonymous

Phyllis, inspiring video. If we want to live, all we have to do is live life. Thanks!

knobby
Reply to ron in mich

Ron, thanks for sharing your info. And, especially the Nexcare pink waterproof tape!

mikamouse

Hello,

I am exactly one year in and was approved to do my hot tub at 6/7 months in. If doing a hotter body of water like that, just make sure to have another pouch set up to change if the heat dissolves your adhesive! But I have never had an issue with swimming or hot tub. Zero accidents... I swim, I am a beach pool person... it's my way of life! I got a swimsuit bottom that will hold my pouch in place and no one is the wiser.
So I say enjoy! Just have a change ready to go nearby if needed!

https://www.ostomysecrets.com/collections/mens-swim

Happy holidays!

knobby
Reply to mikamouse

Thank you Mikamouse - proud of you for jumping right in!

rross613
Reply to AlexT

I've had an ileostomy for 45 years and never had an issue. I do use waterproof tape and wear a bathing suit that covers up my bag. Don't let it alone hinder you enjoying life.

Ilia
Reply to Earth Angel

The same for me.

Summer is swimming first of all for me and I never miss an opportunity to swim in the cottage lake, usually I swim in a fitness club in winter.

This summer I received a lake bacteria in the area of my stoma, but nobody can prove that it was from the lake. My stoma nurse informed me that for many years of experience she never saw that bacteria penetrates through stoma supplies from outside water...

Nothing can stop me from swimming.

Vermonter

I swim all the time and wear my regular pouch and wafer. The Convatec Durahesive wafer works great. When swimming, the key is to picture frame your wafer with pink tape which is waterproof. It holds up very well and I leave the tape on for a full week when vacationing in the Caribbean and swim daily. The pink tape is great stuff and you can swim all that you want. Randy

Earth Angel
Reply to Axl

Cannonball!!!!

TEA17

Rod, if you are confident with your pouching system, you don't need to do anything different. I have been swimming laps at our YMCA for at least 35 years; three times a week with an ileostomy. I don't do anything special to swim.

knobby
Reply to Ilia

Thank you; another encouraging report!

knobby
Reply to Vermonter

Thanks, Vermonter.

I use Convatec and have some of the pink Hy-Tape.

So, now I have no excuses!

knobby
Reply to TEA17

Hey Tea, I wasted the last 4 1/2 years, avoiding the water. Well, no more.

Thanks,

Rod

knobby
Reply to Ilia

Gotta forget the winter and just go swimming,

Thanks!

knobby
Reply to rross613

Ross, good advice! Thank you, Rod

#Highlyfavored
Reply to Anonymous

Love your story, Mrs. Phyllis. What a beautiful story! Love your video and you traveled to my birthplace, Trinidad and Tobago. Thank you.

#Highlyfavored
Reply to Anonymous

Love your story, Mrs. Phyllis. What a beautiful story! Love your video and you traveled to my birthplace, Trinidad and Tobago. Thank you.

Past Member
Reply to knobby

I'm so glad you liked the video of me. Actually, I shared it with a neighbor who teaches in the medical school here at Ohio University and she is going to use my video in one of her classes. I always want to and love to help people and hope my video helped you.

pwaj04

I use Convatec Ease strips when I am in the pool. So far, no problems. Pauli

knobby

Thank you Pauli - I'll check into them.

Thanks again,

Rod