Safe Remedies for Indigestion with Colostomy?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses safe and effective remedies for managing indigestion in individuals with a colostomy.
Catcando3

What can I take for indigestion with the colostomy?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,093 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

Have you tried just drinking a glass of water or milk? I would think most indigestion medicine would be okay, but I try to avoid taking any type of meds if I don't have to.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Catcando3
Reply to AlexT

Thank you for answering my question. I did ask my oncology nurse and the ostomy surgical nurse, they suggested omeprazole, so I opened the pill, poured it onto some applesauce and ate it that way.
I'm new to this ostomy stuff, I'm completely lost. It was an unplanned surgery due to a blockage next to my colon from a small tumor. My ostomy is only two weeks old, and I could use all the advice and help I can get from the more experienced people who have been doing this for a while.
I'm due to start chemotherapy soon, don't have a date yet, as I have to heal first. If you have any suggestions for me, please let me know. Thank you.

AlexT

If you have a colostomy, you shouldn't need to do anything but take the pill, unless you were told to put it in the applesauce.

IGGIE

There is a tablet called Nexium, it's just once a day tablet and it works great. Iggy

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Hairdresser

Tums always worked for me, plus it helps your bones. I was taking them daily, so my doctor put me on Prilosec, which seems to be working.