Vomiting with Ileostomy - Need help!

Replies
Views
Ritz

I've had my ileostomy for 4 years now. Last night, I all of a sudden began vomiting a lot and several times. My ileostomy only let out clear liquid and I had to empty it every hour all night long...vomiting 3 times.
Anyone have this happen and why? Now, I'm afraid to eat...sipping slowly.
Ritz

AlexT

Might just be a bug.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,468 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

SallyK

Oh gosh, Ritz. I have no idea. I know every now and then I will get a stomach ache at night, but so far no vomiting. Good luck.

eefyjig

Do you have any pain? My bag started filling up with liquid when I started having pain from gallstones. It still does that. I'm having my gallbladder out in two weeks so I'll see what happens after that... Otherwise, it sounds like it could be a stomach bug, especially with the vomiting. Try hard to hydrate with the loss of all that liquid. Not easy to do when you're nauseous. I hope it passes quickly.

Andy ileostomy

Hello, this happened to me and continued for ages before my doctor explained that I should take a drug called omeprazole because I had high output and vomiting, here is some blurb about it.

Gastric acid secretions often increase after small bowel resection because of interference with negative feedback mechanisms that control the process. This can lead to increased stoma output. Reducing gastric acid secretions can therefore decrease stoma output. Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) and somatostatin analogues are often used for this purpose.

PPIs block the production of gastric acid. Omeprazole is the most commonly used PPI in this setting and high doses of 40mg twice a day are often needed. Because omeprazole is absorbed in the upper sections of the small intestine, patients who have had extensive small bowel surgery may not respond fully to the drug.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Ben38

Sounds more like you had a blockage or adhesions. Usually, after being sick a few times, you have loose output for a time afterwards. Keep your fluid intake high unless any other health problems limit the amount you can drink, and I would eat a light diet for a day or two.

Homie With A Stomie NS

Hopefully just a bug, hun... Please keep hydrated and if possible, eat some toast or crackers, etc. You've got to have something in you.

Please feel better soon.

Tracy

w30bob

Hey Ritzer,

It's always something... isn't it? An ostomate's life might not be fun... but it sure ain't boring!! There's a lot of things that can cause what you describe... one key that eliminates about half of them is whether you had a fever or not when this happened. Any chance you checked? The other thing I'd want to know is was your clear output normal in volume, more or less than normal? And are we talking perfectly clear? If so, when was the last time you ate something? Any other symptoms... like abdominal cramping, you being pregnant... or something else of note?

We'll figure it out... but if not, the normal good advice would be if it hasn't cleared up in a day or three... you know to go see someone about it, right? Yeah, I know you do.

;O)

Bob

ron in mich

Hi Ritz, lots of good advice here. Hope you're feeling better today.

Ritz
Reply to w30bob

Bob... After vomiting, the output was pale yellow, like pee.... And way too much emptying every hour during my sleep time. No fever, no pain. Yesterday, I began with nibbles of saltines and grape juice and hot tea. My output all of a sudden expelled a hard, long substance... I think it was a piece of a chicken bone. I did have chicken in the afternoon I vomited. I'm okay now, but will never eat a drumstick again.
And no, I'm not pregnant! I am getting married in a few months... but no babies in my future!!

AlexT

You're not supposed to eat the chicken bones.

w30bob

Hi Ritzer..........well, good, sounds like you found the problem. As Alex mentioned.....you're not supposed to "eat" the whole drumstick.....normal humans just pick the meat off the bone and just eat that. You folks from Arizona are weird......first you live in a really hot place that has no water.........and now you're eating whole chickens, bones and all. I hope you at least take the feathers off first!

Next you'll be telling us you want to take up saltwater fishing!

;O)

Bob

PS..........Congrats on your engagement!!!

Earth Angel

Hi Ritz,

You really must have been hungry eating bones and all lol!!!! It sounds like you found out the cause of all that vomiting, etc... Next time you're starving, try ice cream or something without bones hahaha

Glad you're feeling better and sending happy vibes your way on your engagement!

SallyK

Congratulations on your engagement!

AlexT

Does your fiancé know about the engagement? Wish you the best.

eefyjig
Reply to Ritz

Whoa, I'm glad you found the culprit and that you're feeling better!

Ritz
Reply to AlexT

Too funny... he knows I'm a bag lady too!!

Maried

How the heck did you swallow a whole chicken leg bone???

AlexT
Reply to Maried

I better not offer an answer to that.

Superme

Congrats Ritz! Wishing you many years of marital bliss!

Homie With A Stomie NS

Congrats Ritz...so happy for you.... Glad you're feeling better as well

Tracy