Find Local Ostomy Support Groups at uoaa.org!

Replies
Views
Cplumber

I have noticed lately people saying they haven't met anyone else with an ostomy. Well, here is your chance. There are in-person local ostomy support groups and you can find yours at uoaa.org; mine in Minneapolis meets once a month and I have attended for 20 years and learned something new every time. Good luck and have fun.

AlexT

I tried to go to a meeting last December, but their December meeting (Xmas party) was canceled due to lack of interest. I haven't looked into going again since they say their meetings are in the evening, and I'm working then.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,456 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

elwick

Hi, in the UK there are very many local groups. Google Colostomy Association or Ileostomy Association and you will find information on local groups in your area. I suspect that other countries have similar groups.

ron in mich

The last I heard, the nearest group is a 2-hour drive for me, so I've just been winging it on my own other than being on this site and the uoaa.org site.

w30bob

Your local hospital should have a monthly (or quarterly) newsletter they publish and send out. In there should be a list of support groups for various things, and usually an ostomy group will be listed. The UOAA site list doesn't seem to be updated very often. I went to the group they had listed back when I first got my ostomy in 2014. Turned out to be an hour plus of old ladies bragging about where they've traveled with their ostomies since the last meeting. Would have rather watched the Redskins get their butts kicked, like they usually do every weekend. Not saying they're all bad, but I've called and emailed the gal listed on the UOAA for the group in my area.........and she never replies. So you may have to do a little more searching..........and if you come up empty consider forming your own group! With social media today it should be pretty easy. There's a good number of ostomy sites around, so unless you live in the boonies......you should be able to find an ostomate or two to play tag with.

:o)

Bob

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
SallyK

Thanks! And in Canada, you can find local support groups on the Ostomy Canada Society website. https://www.ostomycanada.ca/