Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Support | Friendship | Relationships
28,358 members
Next >

Hello....I'm new here

This is the best website for people with an Ostomy. So much understanding.

Recently diagnosed with stage 4 rectal cancer, new colostomy and trying to wrap head around it all. Things sure move fast. 

Hi. I had stage 3 and ended up with the glorious Barbie Butt and my Bag-O-Tricks  stuck to my stomach. Ask away, there’s no really dumb questions, except for Abe’s deciphering one. 😁

MeetAnOstoMate - 28,358 members

You'll do fine im sure and Alex is a huge help if you have questions.  

Welcome - you’ve come to the right place!  Lots of unanswered questions (by practicing physicians) are answered here - and all you need to do is decipher them and make your own good decisions - you will learn lots in short order!  I prolly won’t be answering any of them as I have an ileostomy but I do enjoy the forum and occasionally try to throw in some humor as we all need it !  jb 

Welcome. I'm fairly new also and everyone here has been great.   I'm very grateful for this group and I hope you are likewise blessed by their kindness and experience.    

Welcome!  You will find lots of help and support here, so don't hesitate to ask questions about anything and everything.  

Terry

AlexT wrote:

Hi. I had stage 3 and ended up with the glorious Barbie Butt and my Bag-O-Tricks  stuck to my stomach. Ask away, there’s no really dumb questions, except for Abe’s deciphering one. 😁

Thanks 

Okie

Welcome to the site, it’s good to have you here. 

Abe of dumb questions

Hi Okie welcome to the site, i,ve had an ilieostomy for 30 some years, dont let your colostomy hold you back and good luck. 

Welcome as others have said ; you  will find answers and support  on this site. It takes time to wrap your head around your diagnosis  and surgery.  Just give yourself  time and grace.

Welcome 🌻

Welcome, we are all here for you

Hi, 

I'm new here too. Decided to find a place to reach out because I'm feeling completely overwhelmed. 

Four weeks ago I had surgery to remove a section of my large intestine which was full of deep tissue endometriosis. Immediately after waking from the surgery I was sure that something was wrong. After a week of uncertainty the surgeons decided on emergency surgery and found that I had a perforated bowel. I woke up with a colostomy which I was completely unprepared for, and while I'm aware that it saved my life, I'm struggling to feel grateful to it. I'm not somebody who generally allows the negative thoughts to take over but I'm finding this really difficult. 

I have so much love and support and care, there's nothing more I could ask for. But sometimes I resent them for trying to put a positive spin on everything. That's so unfair, I know. 

Anyway, sorry for being a downer, hopefully my thoughts on this will change over time. 

Welcome to the site.  I know you are overwhelmed at the moment.  Life is going to get much better.  It just takes time to heal both physically and mentally.  If you ever need a friend to chat with, please feel free to reach out.  

clair.crowley83 wrote:

Hi, 

I'm new here too. Decided to find a place to reach out because I'm feeling completely overwhelmed. 

Four weeks ago I had surgery to remove a section of my large intestine which was ful...

Hello Clair -

I had a similar experience of waking up from surgery with an unexpected colostomy. Yes, it was life-saving, but shocking. I didn't want to acknowledge the presence of it during my lengthy hospital stay, which was filled with random complications. Once home, I can't remember how long it was until I emptied the bag on my own, and it was over a year before I learned how to change the whole thing by myself (mostly because no one ever encouraged me to.) I didn't know I could do it - I actually learned on YouTube -haha. I should have joined this site sooner - it's a great place to find support, encouragement, and information. Now I'm finally self-reliant, and am even able to do some gig work when it works out for me. I'm in a pretty good place. At this point, 19 months after bowel perforation, I am scheduled for colostomy reversal surgery, however, I also have extensive endometriosis and am worried about further complications with additional surgery. We'll see what happens. 

Good luck to you - it's okay to feel down. Let your body heal and know that you're not alone! (I hope that wasn't too much positive spin - haha)

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.