Pain and Pressure Around Stoma: Normal or Concerning?

Replies
Views
Teebull

I have had my colostomy for about 3 months now. I have recurring pain and pressure behind and around my stoma. My stomach under and around my stoma seems to protrude more than the other side of my abdomen since surgery. Is this normal and will my stomach become flatter like the other side of my abdomen? Is this pain common? I don't have a hernia, at least not diagnosed with one.

AlexT

Hernia or you're plugged up but I'd put money on a hernia.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,465 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

TerryLT

From what I've been told by my surgeon, a hernia that soon after surgery is unlikely. My stomach started out perfectly flat after surgery, but developed a bit of a kind of shallow raised bump within a few weeks, which has not changed. I don't have a hernia, just a slightly more raised and rounded area right around my stoma. I've been told this is completely normal, but there shouldn't be pain and pressure associated with it. That suggests a blockage or partial blockage. When you are having this pain and pressure, is your output normal? Is the swelling around your stoma more pronounced when you are experiencing this? It could be that you are just not moving the stool along fast enough and it's building up. Are you drinking lots of liquids?

Terry

Teebull
Reply to TerryLT

When I have the pain and pressure, I am still moving output fine. Even when it's more liquid, I still feel the pain and pressure. It's not horrible but annoying enough. I do keep hydrated. I'll be making another appointment with my doctor soon. Hopefully, it is normal like yours. Thanks

gairdinspreagtha

Because I was so cut up, I felt like I looked like Frankenstein with so many levels. It somewhat looked like broken up pavement. You are also swollen afterwards, and muscles and nerves take time to heal. Eventually, my stomach, except a part that got infected, became normal. It took several months for just the organs to seem like they weren't swollen.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
TerryLT
Reply to Teebull

Hi again, I don't know why I didn't think of it yesterday. Suddenly it occurred to me that it could just be gas. I get it all the time, self-inflicted, as I eat a lot of foods that cause gas. I have come to recognize it, and it is a feeling of pain and pressure, but I also know that it will pass, and it does. It can be quite painful. This might well be what it is, especially if you are still having normal output, and it's not happening all the time. Do you eat lots of foods that could be the cause? Sometimes, if it's quite bad, I'll lie down and massage my abdomen around the stoma, which seems to help get it out. The only way to avoid it is to stop eating those foods, so you have to decide which is worse. I personally love my gas causing foods too much to give them up totally, but I do try to limit the amount I eat at one time. Things like broccoli, onions, garlic, cabbages, beans, etc.

Terry

Teebull
Reply to TerryLT

Terry, I haven't eaten beans or cruciferous veggies since my surgery, but I have eaten just about everything else I want. Cut out the carbonated drinks, except for champagne... it is the holidays after all! But this started before I indulged. It does come and go so I bet it is gas since I do have it. As long as I know it isn't anything to be concerned about, I'm fine. Just a little paranoid after being diagnosed with cancer and my 'new normal'. That does relieve my concern since it isn't all the time. Thanks so much!!

Morning glory

Try taking Gas-X. It is great stuff. I use the gels.

TerryLT
Reply to Morning glory

I've used Gas-X on and off for a while, and finally came to the conclusion, for me anyway, it really doesn't seem to make any difference. Glad it works for some people!

Terry

AlexT

Do you guys really get a lot of gas? Unless I eat beans, baked or in Mexican food, I hardly have any gas. &zwj