Replies
Views
eefyjig
Reply to Ben38

"Just try a handful."

Me:

Past Member
Reply to CrappyColon

Armand's for thin and Gino's East for deep dish..but I love Lou's and Giordano's too!

Glad you got to Portillo's...always a must. I moved away from Chicago for a decade and missed the food terribly.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,481 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

CrappyColon
Reply to Anonymous

I regret every time I had frozen pizza instead of getting pizza since moving away. Obviously, I miss my family and friends the most, but the food... it's right up there.

CrappyColon
Reply to Anonymous

I regret every time I had frozen pizza instead of getting pizza since moving away. Obviously, I miss my family and friends the most, but the food... it's right up there.

Ben38
Reply to CrappyColon

Yes, of course, you can blame me. I'm a man so used to women blaming me for everything that goes wrong or right. Lol

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
CrappyColon
Reply to Ben38

I think that the big pond between here and there really gives a false sense of safety.

Justbreathe
Reply to AlexT

What!!!????!!! Our local Walmart doesn't have it. I shall be checking around though - even our Publix (grocery store) doesn't have it either. After seeing it on Amazon I figured it was a collectible!

eefyjig
Reply to CrappyColon

My younger son is living in Chicago with his girlfriend while she's in school for another year and a half. They love it, not thrilled with the winters, though. We love visiting them there!

CrappyColon
Reply to Anonymous

Jo, so I thought you'd enjoy this. I sent the picture of Lolly Gobble Bliss Bombs in a cousin group text and asked them all to make voice recordings trying to say it 5 times fast, even the significant others joined in. So we've been having a good time laughing at each other.

Jodie

anyark

I've been hesitant to try popcorn, but I can easily eat popped sorghum. It looks and tastes like popcorn, but it's much smaller and does not have the hull. I call it popcorn with a pituitary problem! Occasionally I buy it, but popped, it is expensive. Thus, I don't eat a lot at one time and I will top it with the same things that I would put on popcorn. Because it's small, it's really not feasible to do it in an air popper, which is why I buy it already popped. I get it online. I have a picture of it next to some M&Ms to show how much smaller it is, but I don't know how to put that on here.

Newbie Dana

I think everybody is a bit different in their reaction to different foods. I love(d) popcorn, but after a couple of partial blockages with it, I have had to scratch it off my list. Whole kernel corn gives me no problems at all. In fact, by this time, most foods give me no problems - just a very few here and there. Unfortunately, popcorn is one of them. I certainly hope you fare better with that than I did!

Abdulqadir

I have a colostomy since 40+ years, and eat popcorn without any side effects. Everyone differs, so I think you should follow your doctor.

Silveradokid
Reply to eefyjig

Hi eefyjig. From what I've read and heard, quinoa expands after being swallowed. Decided long ago not to even try it. Glad you're okay now!

judiprescott17

I have a rather high ileo but can eat it on occasion. Slowly and chewing well.

andsoitis

I've had my stoma for 13 years, and yes I eat popcorn but not too often because of the salt. But I've not had any problems. I also eat nuts. It just depends on you and your body.

RiverS
Reply to Ben38

I have noticed that certain combinations of food can make them pass through with ease or the opposite! I once had a meal including whole kernel corn and white rice. That is not a combination that passes through well (at least for me)! But I have eaten corn in a chowder or noodle casserole and it's fine. Also, about the popcorn, have it with lots of fluids that increase your output (for me, plain water does not) like tea, hot chocolate, or juice.

RLM

I have been scared to try popcorn but get the Popcorner Kettle Corn chips and can eat those no problem. It satisfies my popcorn cravings.

RLM

Smokey

My favorite snack is popcorn, and I have found that I can eat that. I cannot eat corn.

rvall01

Hi. I love popcorn too. I still have a small handful once in a great while and have not had any problems.

CrappyColon
Reply to eefyjig

The winter there is terrible! Late spring, summer, early fall there are great times to visit! I have a cousin's wedding there this summer. I used to get there fairly often for different events pre-Covid, but as I was getting sicker and we didn't know it was my colon, I started to slow down a lot. A friend has been begging me to come stay with her since she had her 2nd baby, but I haven't been able to make that happen yet. Any favorite places to eat when you visit?

eefyjig
Reply to CrappyColon

Jodie, this is a late response - I'm perusing the site and saw your post regarding Chicago. They live near the West Loop near Blommer's chocolate factory. We've gone to La Scarola restaurant with them a few times and really like it.

BobMac21
Reply to eefyjig

Anytime I eat anything with a lot of fiber, even corn chips, make sure I drink extra fluids. Helps things "move along". Prednisone use early in my IBD diagnosis screwed up my kidneys so I have to always remind myself to drink especially hard in winter when I don't feel thirsty.

Ostomate & woundr

I have found with patients that the little hulls can cut the stoma on their way out. The bleeding is minor and resolves itself much the same as taco tears to skin in the mouth. Since your stoma does not have the same pain nerve endings that the area around your anus does, it doesn't seem to cause the amount of pain either. But corn is kind of a seed like other seeds and nuts; they must be chased with other food or they tend to stop and not progress in the gut, particularly the small intestine. If they can get to the low intestine, it's not too bad because the lower intestine wants to push them along.

While we're on the subject, did you know why everybody gets corn poop? It doesn't mean that they don't chew it up the way everybody seems to assume. Corn and other seeds and many beans will reinflate in the gut; they're grabbing fluid and pulling it along with them, which is part of what helps motility.

As for a recommendation, Amazon has something called PopCorners, which is a chip made of popcorn. To me, it tastes just like any other popcorn, but it does not have those hulls. I have no idea how they get rid of them, but it's obvious that they have mastered it, so those might be an alternative for you.