Question for ileosto-mates

Replies
Views
Justbreathe

Does anyone take Sodium Bicarbonate 10GR(650MG) Tabs to the tune of 2 tabs twice a day.  
This has been recommended by recent visit to Nephrologist… not sure I am going to follow this advice…jb

Mysterious Mose

I don't take baking soda. What is the reason it was recommended? Do you suffer from heartburn? My grandmother lived on a diet of alka-seltzer and bicarbonate of soda. But, she drank like a fish. 🤪

Daniel

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,529 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Justbreathe
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Nope no heartburn - my kidney numbers point to 3b (whatever the hell that is) also known as the latest buzzword (sez so on TV) CKD chronic kidney disease…. I think I have been put on a path of CDA - chronic doctor appointments along with CPD chronic prescription dependency… I may just follow my previous plan . Stay clear of appointments, take 1 baby aspirin and 1 b12 daily and eat right - oh ya, and chew, chew, chew….thanks for your reply I will check further - she had mentioned salt tablets but this does not sound like a salt tablet and I now have 360 of them at $12.07 cents - hell  I could eat a lot of Morton Salt for $12.07 !  jb

Rose Bud 🌹

JB I've sent you a private message I have CKD stage3A which is 45 to 59 percent kidney function..I'm now at 52 But was at Stage 3B( 44 to 30 ) percent...I was at 33% a little over a year ago.And NO it's not just like regular salt..it's mixed with baking soda as well to reduce acid not only in your stomache (why most take it for heartburn) but can help reduce the acid your kidneys can't filter anymore...Any questions please feel free to ask and yes I have an Ileostomy .

Hockeycards
Reply to Justbreathe

Never heard of  salt tablets other than when the temp rose to 99 degrees in the factory during the summer months we were all given one salt tablet administered under the tongue.

Alka Seltzer something my grandmother lived on for post party stomach upset's . Base  Sodium Bicarb is a serum value in evaluating organ function .Never heard of a Dr. prescribing tablets. 

Hockey Cards.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Justbreathe
Reply to Rose Bud 🌹

Thank you so much for your response … it is very enlightening to me - when I have an appointment with the nephrologist again I am sure she will point this out - in the meantime your answer was VERY helpful and I do appreciate your response!  I have sent you a private message as well with a question as to how you take this pill.  I avoid taking pills as they pop right on out without dissolving and I fear a blockage.  I tried putting one in hot water but the little chunks made me cough as I am currently suffering with extreme dry mouth.  Thanks again - I love this website and the willingness of it’s member to share information.  jb

blondedagmar1
Reply to Mysterious Mose

I take one tablet a day it's for to much acid in system . I have kidney disease from the chemo they gave me for cancer

infinitycastle52777
Reply to Justbreathe

I have chronic kidney disease, Stage 2, and I have never been told to take that as a treatment. I wouldn't of even thought of it. I wonder if your doctor could explain to you why that was recommended? Like can you ask questions to your doctor?

Lee  

Justbreathe
Reply to infinitycastle52777

Yes, I have an appointment in a couple weeks for follow up to all the testing I have been through.  Rosebud (on this site) answered a few questions already about this and it was very helpful.  I tend to avoid meds as they only seem to trade one ill for another… so I will be very critical of what is proposed… I have found almost any doctor visit results in tests then medications and I tend to follow a different path avoiding both.  Have done this my whole life.  My first step always when being prescribed any meds is to look at the downside of taking it.  I have a container full of meds I never followed thru taking what was prescribed.  Turns out I am pretty dang healthy for an old lady and made it this far without medications.
My only reason for seeking a physician in the first place was due to a very dry mouth and itchy eyes and I needed some answers.  I believe the answers were probably here on the this web-site all along…being an ostimate will dry you out unless you follow some very important steps to prevent this.  Hopefully I will be back on track soon and following healthier choices for ostomates as advised by so many on this site with on-the-job training and experiences.  Mainly keeping  hydrated.    jb

infinitycastle52777
Reply to Justbreathe

Yes staying hydrated is essential to ostomates. I drink 32 oz at the gym and then another 32 oz through out the day. I wouldn't be able to exercise if I didn't hydrate. I always know when it's time to take a 30 second break and drink something when my mouth and tongue get all dry and I cant re-wet them myself. Then I stop exercise and drink my fluids. I highly recommend drinks with electrolytes in them. 

Hydrate to good health!

Lee