Ostomy names

Replies
Views
infinitycastle52777

Am curious if everyone here names their stoma. My ostomy nurse told me it was a very common thing. I named mine Marvin after Marvin the Martian because when he was fresh and new and all blobby I thought he looked like a martian coming out of my stomach. Then my ostomy nurse that I had for the first 2 months after surgery started calling him a beautiful little rose. So then he became Marvin Rose. To add to that one time my mom was trying to say rose and said rays instead. So now he is Marvin Rose Rays. Mostly though we call him Marvelous Marvin. Well occasionally I call him the super pooper. So was wondering who else has a name for their stoma. With a name I can say in public Marvin needs some attention and no one knows what I am talking about. 

Lee 

Beachboy

I call mine Herb.  I don't know why.  Just sounded like a good fit.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,487 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Killarney
Reply to Beachboy

No disrespect  beach boy and to the majority  of the people on this site  but naming your stomia is fecking stupid  .

Mysterious Mose
Reply to Killarney

Well, I don't agree that naming is "fecking stupid", but I too do not see the need to name either my stoma or my bag. But, I understand why people do it.

Daniel

Axl

Yep, I often call it " that f...ing thing.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Beachboy

Yes, Mr K... Naming a body part IS rather silly.      Or as you opined:  Fecking stupid.  All day and night, I like to feck around with my stoma.  Thus, since I don't feck around with strangers, I named the little fecker; Herb. 

But this raises a quandary... Does Herb like to feck around with me?  Maybe, as Herb spews shit daily, he christened me with a silly name:  To wit... Asshole. 

Ever the smartass, I could have named my intestinal spout: Banana.  Since a banana is an Herb.  But that would be somewhat obtuse for simpleton comprehension, who question the motives of others.  It would be fecking unkind of a fecker like me.  

As I daily ponder my poop pout, I'm amazed at the shit that pops out.  How could I leave such a productive, vital organ un-named?  Like an orphan kicked to the curb and unloved.  That would amount to stoma abuse.  My other organs would revolt.  "Why,"  they would scream... "are we captive in this human dolt ?"  "Feck him" they would whisper.  Feck him to hellllll.

So to avoid a massive mess, I named my widdle piece of flesh.  Yes, he be Herb.  

And if you don't like it...  feck ya 

Beth22

My stomas name is briella means God is my strength and her name fits quite perfectly.. I am on my 6th stoma and she has been through the mill and still fighting. 

Beth22
Reply to Killarney

Hey hey now if you don't want to name yours that's fine but none of us that do name ours are on here calling you stupid for not naming your stoma. 

Gemini16
Reply to Axl

I never named mine, but have referred to it/him as pie hole and Jackass…. So guess his respectful name is Jack?  

infinitycastle52777
Reply to Beth22

Wow 6. I am on my second. My first was called Wormy because he looked like a worm. Well he looked like a penis but you can't go around referring to something as your penis when you are a female. LoL

Briella is a wonderful name by the way.

Lee

infinitycastle52777
Reply to Beachboy

Herb is a good name. I think whatever a person chooses is what is right for them. I have heard several different names over the course of getting to know people with ostomies. one person i met recently calls hers Melvin. And the nurse who took care of me in the hospital after my last surgery had a ostomy and she called it Alice.

Lee

infinitycastle52777
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Daniel, that isn't very nice. I am sure people don't insult you on here. Can you keep negative comments to yourself. Saying things like this may inhibit others from opening up and sharing their thoughts and experiences. If you are on here, you are here to support and be supported, not talk negatively to other group members.

Lee

infinitycastle52777
Reply to Gemini16

Jackass that is funny. Especially since a stoma is your new butt. LoL

Lee

Gemini16
Reply to infinitycastle52777

Exactly!  ;)  you get it.  Lol.

infinitycastle52777
Reply to Gemini16

Totally!

Lee

Beachboy

It is fun participating.  Posting silly stories and tales of medical adventures.  Time flys by, days grow short.  We're all temporarily on this medium sized rock in the middle of endless space.  Alone in our thoughts.  In 50 years, no one will remember we once lived.  Our accomplishments, arguments, loves, hates, friendships, and stoma names... will be forever lost to the endless tick of time.  So Mr K... NO one now gives a shit what you think.

prends soin de toi

Killarney
Reply to Mysterious Mose

If you read my comment again I agree with you but in a more verbal way.

Ben38

No never felt the need to but always think of my stoma as a man perfect just like me lol 

Beth22
Reply to infinitycastle52777

Hi Lee,

Thank you. And yes all in a year and a half.  It's been revised twice and relocated 4 times. The last 3 stomas were done in just the last 3 months, and having two of them open surgery (midline incisions)

infinitycastle52777
Reply to Beth22

My goodness that is a lot of surgeries. I thought 3 in 2 years was a lot. You hang in there!! Maybe the last one will be the right one for you.

Lee

imsafanwa

Norm, short for Stormin' Norman. My stupid sense of humor has gotten me this far...

infinitycastle52777
Reply to imsafanwa

That is a good name. Today I have been referring to mine as The Liquidator because he has been all liquid all day.

Lee

mountainbikeman

I have sometimes called mine Stumpy as it looks like a small tree stump….

infinitycastle52777
Reply to mountainbikeman

That is a cute name. Thank you for sharing.

Lee

Tink22

Stella is her name!!  I can't yell stoma, I yell at Stella when she is bad!!!

My son is a BIG halloween man and we call my bags Stella's house of horrors!!

infinitycastle52777
Reply to Tink22

LoL That's funny. Sometimes the bag does seem like a house of horrors!!!

Lee

bearinachair8

I have determined my stoma is nonbinary and sometimes call him her they Lesl (ie) or Lesl (ey).  🙂

amymariefred

My friend told me she named hers Rose. I told my doctor before surgery about it and she said patients who name their stoma have a better recovery than those who don’t (statistics she was quoting that I can’t remember). So I opted for Red Velvet as mine looked like a red velvet cupcake. Good idea about using that name in public. 

ianemily

Oh my goodness I name everything! My brand new colostomy, once Lumpy was removed, is Luna McFart!! AKA "Loonie"

I'm 71 and get eyerolls of course. But I figure as a new (not necessarily wanted and a surprise) addition to my body family of me, myself & I,

she deserved a name!!!

infinitycastle52777
Reply to bearinachair8

That is a good name. Lesie. Reminds me of Nessie the loch ness monster. No offense intended.

Lee