Glycerine Suppositories for Rectal Mucous: Success and Side Effects?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses the success and side effects of using glycerine suppositories for managing rectal mucous in ostomy patients.
Doreen 21

Just wondering if anyone uses glycerine suppositories for rectal mucus? Sorry, I know it's not a pleasant subject. Just wondering about success rate or any adverse side effects? Apologies again for the rather gross subject.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,091 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

TerryLT

Hi Doreen, just wanted to say, no need to apologize. Gross subjects are pretty much the order of the day around here. I assure you, you won't be offending anyone on this site. I personally have never used glycerine suppositories for rectal mucus. I do get it, but it's not an issue for me at all, so just no need. I do think that those suppositories are pretty hard on you though. You might just want to run that by your surgeon, or ostomy nurse.

Terry

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Doreen 21

Hi Terry. Both my surgeon and stoma nurse recommended glycerine suppositories. Also recommended on NHS website. I just wondered if anyone had any personal experience.

TerryLT

Well, shows you what I know! It's just that from personal experience, I remember back in the days I still had a colon, and no ostomy, I tried those suppositories as I had chronic constipation. I had a pretty strong reaction to them, violent bowel movement and pain, and the skin around my bum was really irritated.

Terry

Doreen 21

Well, I have had 90% of my large bowel removed! The surgeon said they are mainly water and glycerine so can't do any harm. He gave me pediatric suppositories to use.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
gentlejohn

Yes, I used suppositories regularly until my rectum was removed. I used both mesalamine and cortisone. Mesalamine was most effective because I had ulcerative colitis.

Reasons for drainage: 1) Inflammatory bowel disease can cause drainage of mucus, brown debris, and/or blood. 2) Disuse proctitis can cause drainage.

Inflammatory bowel disease is best treated with mesalamine suppositories. Cortisone suppositories can be used also. Disuse proctitis is best treated with short-chain fatty acid enemas.

NB: Mechanism of Action of glycerin suppositories.
When administered rectally, glycerin is a hyperosmotic laxative. It works in the colon by causing a local irritant effect as well as by drawing water into the intestines, softening the stool. Glycerin suppositories usually produce a bowel movement within 15 to 60 minutes after insertion.