Exercise

In this discussion
Replies
Views
golf_icon
Hi can anyone who has a peristomal hernia tell me how much I can exercise. I have had my ostomy since april 2009 and no one seems to want to commit to an answer. They all say it depends on how bad it already is. Well I don't know how bad it is I have nothing to compare to.I ware a hernia belt daily and I walk a fair bit at my work and golfing. Iwould like to do more though, so any advice or input is appreciated. Go canucks Go!
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Gus
I use a level 5 hernia support belt. I think they are the strongest you can get. i have had numerous hernias and had them repaired. Key is to only do as much as your comfortable with then as you get stronger up the weights or repetitions of what your doing. Apart from becoming a super weight lifter, I don't think theres anything you can't do now that you did before you had your ostomy. Just listen to your body and don't let your head get in the way.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Seanna46

I have had my ileostomy since 1994 with CD and have had several hernias (7 ), all ended up with bowel pushed through the hernia strangulated and emergency surgery to repair with mesh or be moved. My stoma Stella, has had three placements so far. Haven't had trouble with hernias for a few years now, but I don't lift anything very heavy. I baby my abdomen. I'm scared to get another hernia. I've had 17 abdominal surgeries, (11 in 6 years). A hernia belt is a good idea.