Hollister Urostomy Bags Quality Decline?

Replies
Views
MC22

Two years ago I had to have my bladder removed due to bladder cancer.... I have always used Hollister Urostomy Bags. Has anyone noticed a decline in the quality of the bags....they seem much thinner and don't seem to seal as well. I receive a three-month supply at a time. Once, I received my three-month supply and the quality was terrible...I tried one bag from each box and they were all awful...I could only get about 8 hrs use from a bag before the seal started leaking...Edgepark, which is my supplier, was absolutely no help, so I called Hollister myself and raised cane and they overnighted me a three-month supply without getting my insurance involved....but yet they totally denied sacrificing the quality of their products and I stood firm with them saying they absolutely did, but I will admit Hollister made it right, but Edgepark was absolutely no help, I was tearing the skin around my stoma because I was having to change my bag daily or I would start leaking. I'm just curious if anyone else may have encountered a similar issue.

Ostomate & woundr

I would encourage you to contact the other manufacturers that you can find online and get free samples of their product. Make sure that you know the size of your stoma. Pick a good day to stay home, but get things done and move around, then try them out. If you leak or have a problem, you're already at home, but you need to be active enough that you can compare using them with real life.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,362 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

MC22
Reply to Ostomate & woundr

Thank you very much for your reply. I had my surgery during the height of COVID and all pre-op classes were cancelled. Upon the day released from the hospital, the stoma nurse set me up with Hollister, so that's the only manufacturer that I've ever dealt with. I'm not familiar with any other manufacturers and when I speak to my supplier (Edgepark), they tell me Hollister only makes my type Urostomy bag and are no help at all.

Beth22

I will tell you I had had Edgepark and I switched after 2 months.. They left me sitting an entire month without bags.. and many other reasons.. I would switch .. There's Byram, Comfort Medical (I have been with both of these) and others as well. I would steer clear of Prism.

Call the distributor and ask if they take your insurance.. Your insurance company doesn't know anything about Ostomys unfortunately (I found out the long and hard way).. If you like the product you have now, you can also ask if they carry it. If you're looking to switch and your product isn't working, you can call a new company and try their products.

Bryce

Try calling Coloplast USA (1-866-293-6349). I switched 11 years ago and have had no regrets plus their customer service is first rate.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Killshot_24523

I had a Hollister one-piece in the hospital right out of surgery. It irritated my skin something terrible. I have been using Coloplast Sensura Mio Click 2-piece since without issue. I change it every 3 days but can go 4 if I feel like pushing it.

MC22
Reply to Beth22

I had a similar experience with Edgepark... My order was confirmed... When I received the order, I only had a night drainage bag... No ostomy bags... Only a note that they were on back order... No definite shipping date.... I thinking, how in the world do they expect someone to make it with no ostomy bags! I once again called Hollister and they overnighted the order... Edgepark can be very hard to deal with.

MC22

Thank you all for your response... It has really helped me.

Beth22
Reply to MC22

Yes, they are. I thought the same. How in the world do you expect us to love our everyday life without one of the main sources in order to function and move around? I asked them that too. They didn't care at all. Among other major issues I have had with them. I am glad Hollister came through and helped you out, that's great. No one should have to fight to get their medical supplies.

byronsamuels1949

Hi everyone, I have a urostomy bag and it vacuums at night. I put water in the bed bag and left urine in the body bag. When I sleep, the bag vacuums flat and creates a leak. Any advice would be helpful to stop vacuuming.

cmhockeygirl
Reply to MC22

I am new to this game as well. I tried Hollister at first but didn't find them comfortable. I switched to "Coloplast" and am very happy. Hope this helps!