Hiding the buldge

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Mark420

I have an ileostomy and I'm having problems with the bulge. How do you dress to cover it up?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

Loosely and wear a wrap to hold it against your skin.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
infinitycastle52777

I wear loose clothing and long shirts. I also bought a bag cover on Amazon that I hope will reduce that crinkling plastic sound!

Lee

Rene
Reply to infinitycastle52777

Does the bag cover really reduce the "crinkle " sound? People who know about my ostomy say they don't even hear it, that I am the only one to hear it bc I am more aware of it.

AlexT
Reply to Rene

Imo, no it doesn't. It's all for the purpose of covering your bag up. After trying them when I first got my bag here's my thought on them. 1) just another thing to deal with. 2) the ones I tried didn't do a thing for noise. 3) I've never seen anyone walking around in public showing off their bag cover unless it's for a photo of some sort, so I really don't get the concept since you already have a shirt covering it. I guess I can see using one in intimate moments if it'll stay on. 4) they do nothing for support.
So, for me, they're just a waste of money after trying them in the beginning, I couldn't even tell you where mine are Now &zwj

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Maried

Release the gas on a regular basis..and buy your bottoms one size up..

William15

Hi Mark

I find that over shirts, that sit over the trouser waistline, do this well, and here in the UK they are a fashionable item.

Will

warrior

Can you explain how do you wear your Soma bag ??for example I find a lot of people are wearing it vertical where it'sdown hanging south of yur belly button... I hang mine horizontally with a wrap and talk about a bulge!!!! when you start pooping it looks like an alien forming on the side of your body.. but I think what you should consider yourself about is really the security of the bag...so I wear a wrap and I wear it horizontally and I can fit clothing just fine. wearing loose shirts help a lot... they have a shirt called untuckit maybe you've heard of it for men ??where it just hangs over your belt you know?? very loose fitting shirts are very helpful.... I don't think you can ever hide that bulge. a one piece appliance is likely the slimmest approach.

if yur a vest type wearing person, that hides it well too.

leather vest would be hot wearing..but u get the idea? it wont conform to your body.

kelly.marie.messick

im fairly small and tall so mine shows even when the bag is empty. If found these shape wear tank tops at Walmart. they were about 20 bucks for a tank top,i checked again in the last week and they've gone up another 10. They fit snug so it gives me more time in between empties. and then i found these head wraps. They look like a fabric headband, but with extra fabric, like a tank top with out the bust, a tube. I don't know how else to explain it but i wear them around my waist and it helps with the weight of a stoma bag and keeps it snug against my tummy.