Unfair Removal of Bbraun Irypump Without Viable Alternative

Replies
Views
Douglas john
Apr 29, 2023 7:51 am

For any representatives of Braun Medical, I would like them to be aware of how unfair and unreasonable B. Braun have been by removing the Irg Pump without offering a viable alternative. Those of us who rely on the 100% control over our incontinence provided by the pump will be devastated when our existing pumps fail and there is no support.

Bill
Apr 29, 2023 8:43 am

Hello Douglas John.
I’m sorry to hear that you are having problems with Braun Medical regarding your Iry Pump. They are great little devices when working and appropriate to our needs.
Unfortunately, I could not get on with them because they did not hold enough water for my personal needs (I Did do a review of the subject way back and it will probably still be on my profile somewhere)

However, all is not lost, as I managed to make three perfectly adequate devices to replace the Braun Iry Pump.

One was made from a battery-operated camping shower: This was adapted with the help of the tubes and on/off switch which I believe are produced by Coloplast. (I also needed to modify the end using an anal irrigating catheter, but that might not be necessary for most people).

This device had the great advantage of being easily portable and the water was put in the same container as I used to transport it. It was very convenient for travel purposes and I used it for about two years – until it suddenly stopped working for no apparent reason. When I looked for a new camping shower the reviews indicated that I had been  fortunate for mine to have lasted two years, as most of them pack up a lot sooner than that.
Two other devices followed, and one is till used today. 
They were both made from manual pressure pumps, bought from a garden centre. (The first one of these had ‘KILLER SPRAY’ printed bold right across it and I felt it was probably inappropriate to try to get through customs with that one. It also had a narrow screw top which would not accommodate the rest of the gear. 
Hence, I bought a similar pressure container with a wide top and no advertising. 
This was much better in that when empty the opening was big enough to take the rest of the gear. 
The outlet pipes and end-irrigation tools were exactly the same as the ones I had developed previously.

I have been using this device for about four years or more and it has served me well.
All of these DIY systems were a fraction of the price of the Braun Iry Pump.

However, to anyone contemplating this approach, I would offer the same caveat/warning that was given to me at the outset. 
Irrigation with an anal catheter can be dangerous and carries the possibility of rupturing the colon wall because there are very few nerve endings to indicate that damage is being caused. 
I get around this by being ultra-sensitive to what the feeling/ movement and vibrations through the tube are indicating. 
Other than that, I have found this approach to be an invaluable addition to the many possibilities for managing the stoma to suit my needs.
Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,886 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Douglas john
Apr 29, 2023 5:17 pm

Then is Bill, I'm working on a DIY pump using a small fish tank pump. When (if) it works I'll let you know.

John

Bill
Apr 30, 2023 6:27 am

Hello Douglas John.

I did think about the fish tank pumps, but couldn't find one that works off a battery. The problem being that if it must be hooked up to a mains supply of electricity, then it restricts the ability to use it when travelling (on aircraft or in the wilderness). Whereas a manual or battery operated device gives us that freedom.
Best wishes
Bill

jeanneskindle
Apr 30, 2023 6:34 am
Reply to Bill

Well, as usual, Bill, you are impressive. Unfortunately, I have a complete lack of knowledge surrounding this pump and the reasons you need it for an ostomy. I have an ileostomy. I guess I'm just curious. I have another question. Do stomas ever need to be redone? Mine is 25 years old. Almost. It seems to be just fine. My youngest son just told me I should probably go see a surgeon and get it redone. That never occurred to me. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Bill
Apr 30, 2023 1:38 pm
Reply to jeanneskindle

Hello Jeanneskindle.
It's good to be curious so I'll try to answer both your questions  as best I can.
Firstly, irrigation is for people who have colostomies (and even some of them are not suitable). The pressurised water pump is more controllable and efficient than a gravity feed bag but if the bag works, then that is the simplest solution, as that's what the hospitals and manufacturer's usually supply (probably because it's the cheapest option).  The gravity system hasn't worked very well for me for a number of reasons, so it made sense to try something better, even though it works out more expensive.
As for having stomas 're-done', I would refer you to that age-old saying: " If it isn't broken - don't fix it!"
Unless your son has a stoma of his own, he will likely have little idea of what an 'ideal'  stoma should look like, or how it should work for you. He might also not know what problems can arise when people try to move stomas. 

Of course, if you ever have serious problems with your present stoma, then would be the time to have a discussion about possible relocation.
these are just my own thoughts on the subjects, so I hope other's might chip in with their own comments.
Best wishes
Bill

jeanneskindle
Apr 30, 2023 6:59 pm
Reply to Bill

Thank you for answering both of my questions! Interesting. I sort of kinda knew about irrigation but the pump was a mind-boggler. I agree with you, too. I am a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Thanks again, Bill.

Douglas john
May 01, 2023 5:16 pm

Sadly, now if the iry pump gets broken, there's no one to fix it. How irresponsible of Braun to remove a product and not offer a replacement. John

Bill
May 01, 2023 6:12 pm
Reply to Douglas john

Hello again.

Considering these devices are so expensive, I would have thought that they would carry a lifetime's guarantee. However, it appears not!  I understand that the laws in the UK recently changed whereby manufacturers are now obliged to supply spare parts for machinery that goes wrong. There is of course a catch to this arrangement.  I have recently quoted this new legal framework to one manufacturer who pointed out to me that they would send me the part that I required, but but that it would cost more than a new machine. I think they call this 'progress'.

Best wishes

Bill  

KeithMac
Apr 19, 2024 10:38 am

Hi all,

I am replying to this stream on behalf of my wife who has been using the Irypump for about 6 years now. It has been life-changing. With the withdrawal from Braun, we have been unable to source any similar device.
Anyone have any leads/contacts?

Thanks, Keith