Swimming with an Ostomy: Ensuring Adequate Supplies

Replies
Views
lindasnake62

First summer with an ostomy, I used to swim every day. How do you get enough supplies to do that?

w30bob

Hi Linda,

You don't need to change your barrier after going swimming, so you don't need any extra supplies. Everyone is different, but for most brands of ostomy barriers being immersed in water has no effect on their adhesion.

:o)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,378 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Justbreathe

I swim (well, dance) in the pool every day for one hour. This has absolutely no effect on any of my "dealer add-ons" (ostomy products). JB

TerryLT

As others have said, swim away! I find no difference in wear time if I go swimming or not, and I nearly always spend quite a while in the intense heat of the steam room, between swims. Some people will add a flange extender to their appliance for extra protection, so if this makes you feel more secure, go for it.

Terry

Ice

I'm practically a fish. I do wear a wrap when swimming and have never had an issue. I just blow dry it after

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
w30bob
Reply to Ice

I don't know. I've seen a lot of fish, and you don't look like anything I've seen swimming around. Maybe that's a new gender. I have a hard time keeping up!

Later Aquaman,

;O)

john.m.schmidt1

I am scuba diving in Croatia in July, any suggestions? This will be my first dive since surgery.