Requesting Medical Travel Letter Advice

Replies
Views
CrappyColon

My most recent trip was my first time flying since all my surgeries last year and I'll be traveling again soon with just my young daughter. During some turbulence, I ended up stuck in the back of the plane with a flight attendant and we became besties- she gave me lots of extra water, told me what I needed to say where no one could legally question what my medical condition was etc… at the end of the flight she asked if she could hug me.

I messaged my GI Dr and asked if there was a card or letter he could give me for travel. He just messaged me back tonight and said he'd be happy to write a letter for me and asked what I would like it to say. I don't know. I assumed he'd have some sort of template already and just throw my name in there, sign his name and done. Does anyone have a letter like this they use for travel? Or could advise me on what I should tell my Dr to say? It's hard for me to believe he hasn't done this before but… when I had a colon I had a whole different team of Drs and then was transferred to a regular GI Dr once I was out of the surgeon being my primary contact phase. The first time this Dr met me he talked about how complex I was, but he'd try his best to help me. All these Drs are under the same health system but with him being general GI maybe he doesn't see many cases like me?

Thanks!

Beachboy

Hello,

There is a travel card you can download and print out. Available from www.ostomy.org

Search for Ostomy travel card.

From their website:

TRAVEL COMMUNICATION CARD COMPLIMENTS OF THE UNITED OSTOMY ASSOCIATIONS OF AMERICA, INC. This is provided to travelers in order to simplify communication with federal Transportation Security personnel and airline flight attendants, at those times when you wish or need to communicate in a non-verbal way, as is your legal right.

Cheers,

Dan

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,493 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Justbreathe

I received a complimentary welcome kit from ConvaTec with samples and a “card” for travel, telling I was an ostomate with special wording for airline travel. JB

CrappyColon

Is it bad I just want the Dr to Google it like I've been doing? 😂. I have a card but it's not airline travel specific. 

Bryce
Reply to CrappyColon

Hi Jody,

I have traveled extensively over the years for both business & pleasure and found that a pre-prepared 8 1/2 x 11 document has been invaluable. Mine contains:

Name; Address; Social Insurance #; DOB; insurance # (if applicable); ICE Contact (In Case of Emergency); POAPC Name (Power of Attorney for Personal Care) and all contact phone numbers.

The left side of the page contains all previous medical treatments + appliance info.

The right side lists all medications and dosage schedule including OTC meds.

The middle section lists all pertinent medical procedures in reverse chronological order.

The bottom section lists Family Doctor; Cardiologist; GI Doctor; plus the hospitals where your records are kept.

I update the info monthly and the document not only helps when you travel but when you access a new medical service as well. (Much easier to write 'See Attached' than fill out 83 forms.) The medical summary can also be easily translated depending on where you are headed. This carried info has been invaluable on at least three occasions both locally and abroad.

Final Tip: I always put a sheet of paper in my luggage with my Name / Address / Where I'm Going and How Long I Expect to be Away. Never lost, or had a bag fully tossed, in close to a half a million miles of travel.

Hope this helps.....best,

Bryce

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
AlexT
Reply to Bryce

Invaluable on three occasions? In an airport trying to get on a plane? Or you had medical issues while traveling? Maybe I am missing something on how difficult it is to get on a plane nowadays. 🤷‍♂️

Bryce
Reply to AlexT

Hi Alex - The document was very useful when a) trying to board a plane in Esquel, Argentina to get to Buenos Aires because there could have been explosives in my pouch; b) T-boned by a taxi in NYC, was semi-conscious and the document facilitated treatment at Mt. Sinai Emergency; c) locally last year was hit with Salmonella and the document allowed paramedics to call ahead and set up proper protocols at the hospital. Also, I have found the listing of medications very useful when going through security at the airport, really speeds things up. Best, Bryce PS: You will no doubt be pleased that I never have any issues when using the train!

Audrey Warren

Glad all went well, How very lucky for you to have such a considerate flight attendant for moral support. That could be worth more than the card.

And Bryce's information is a good idea, One never knows,,,

CrappyColon

Thank you all! I had a pre-scheduled visit with my PCP office this morning and she wrote a letter for me during my visit that also has the doctor's contact info. Back during the height of COVID restrictions, I had a hemiplegic migraine which thankfully has only happened every 4 years, but it was long enough since the last one my husband didn't recognize what was going on. It paralyzes one side of my body and I can't talk, but I can hear everything going on around me. The hospital I was taken to really screwed up and my neurologist was ticked. So she put on the lock screen of my phone all the meds I need through an IV if it happens and also her contact number. So my phone doesn't need to be unlocked for anyone to be able to see it, which I thought was very smart and practical since my phone goes with me pretty much everywhere.

cee

Hi, sounds like you have gotten good advice. I have had my colostomy since 2009 and traveled a great deal since then including Europe and Africa. I asked my doctor's office for a letter to carry which I have faithfully carried ever since. I have never even once had to show it to anyone while traveling. Even in the old days when the pat down could be quite vigorous and screeners weren't as well trained.