Dealing with Persistent Body Odor Dread

Replies
Views
Ajg2580

I just recently got an ileostomy, and I feel the same way. I have a friend that promised me that she would be brutally honest if she could smell me. If she's not around, I always carry Bath and Body Works lotion with me, and rub some on my hands. Just so I don't smell that "smell" after I empty my bag, or release the "air" trapped inside my bag. I feel like sometimes the smell gets "stuck" in your nose, and that's all you can smell. Plus, I found I smell it more than anyone else because I am "smelling for it." I still am self-conscious about it, but every day I keep trying to find ways to make the "smell" less potent. Adding lubricating deodorant to your pouch definitely helps with the smell too. I use Coloplast Brava lubricating deodorant, and that helps some too.

I know this whole change is hard. Praying that every day gets easier for you too. It's definitely a change from the norm. Hang in there

DexieB
Reply to Beachboy

Wow, crazy how we are each given such different advice - guess it all depends on the surgeon. I would rather err on the side of caution, so thanks for the info!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,506 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

MoeMoe
Reply to DexieB

I'm 2 months post-op and my doc too said I can eat anything I want that is “tasty,” but I'm so concerned about blockage. I have only introduced 2 veggies and hummus to my diet. Before the stoma, I was a vegetarian for most of my life. Now I eat meat just to get enough protein. There's sooooo much conflicting info online and no real guidance from the docs in the states.

peteweelallmartin
Reply to DexieB

I wasn't told to eat in a special way after my colostomy - am 10 years in now and just know that if I eat a lot of fiber I'll suffer for it...but nothing has been 'out of bounds'...I wouldn't hesitate to eat popcorn!

peteweelallmartin
Reply to DexieB

I wasn't told to eat in a special way after my colostomy - am 10 years in now and just know that if I eat a lot of fiber I'll suffer for it...but nothing has been 'out of bounds'...I wouldn't hesitate to eat popcorn!

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Beachboy

Popcorn.... now you're talkin'

I've been avoiding popcorn.

I feel "violated" at the movie theater... Everyone around me with large tubs of it, munching happily away. While I console myself with a few plain M&M's.

Now that I learn a fellow Ostomymate enjoys popcorn... with no trouble.. I'm gonna try it. (A little at first though). If all goes well.... it's back to the jumbo tub 'O corn.

VeryUnique

Hello Walkermimi.
All forms of sh!t smell disgust me, not just from ostomies. I have an ileostomy.

I don't eat any garlic or onions, which makes for much less stinky smells. I also use M9 (3 squirts in the bag) with every change. Makes a sh!tload of difference.
(Pardon the pun)

VeryUnique
Reply to Beachboy

Yes, I chew up apples and carrots and spit out the pulp.
Mind you, I did eat an apple in March this year and ended up in the hospital with a bowel obstruction.

Mysterious Mose
Reply to VeryUnique

Apple with or without peel?

7dragonflies.hm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Oh, how you make me laugh but so very true! 😬😂

GraceFalls

Only 7 weeks post ostomy. My poo smells. Not like it did before. Different. Stinky. Hard to hold my breath long enough to flush and clean.
Odd that the smell is different and so bad.
I use a lubricant/deodorizer but I think it makes the scent worse.
I ask Hubby “Do I smell bad”. He says nope.
Thinking it is me. Stuck in my nose.

Beachboy

Tonight at the theater was classic movie night (The Truman Show). Throwing caution to the wind....I bravely walked up to the concession stand and ordered (gasp!), a small popcorn.. no butter. First popcorn since surgery 9 months ago. It was yummy. Hope I won't "pay" for it later.

Mysterious Mose
Reply to GraceFalls

Do what I do. Get into bed and do the under the covers test. It puts my mind to rest every time. 👍

DexieB
Reply to Beachboy

How did it turn out? Did you pay for it later? I hope not!

DexieB
Reply to MoeMoe

Just wondering how you are doing and if you've introduced any new foods? I agree, too much conflicting info out there and no real guidance....frustrating!

Beachboy

So far no trouble at all. Output was a little bulkier, but came out normally. I had planned on eating a 1/4 of the bag.... but before I knew it... bag was empty. I did catch some grief from my wife. She admonished me "You know better!"

Reading other ostomates' troubles with blockages... did have me worried. Next on my list.... Corn on the cob. I'm going to use the double chew method I read about on ostomates. First, just bite off the kernel tops, then go back for the rest.

I've read some ostomates have trouble with pickles. I've started leaving pickles in my burgers... so far no trouble.

Beachboy

Later in the day update. Lots of gas. Lots of output. Emptied bag twice in an hour. Popcorn was still worth it. Glad I ordered the small size.

GraceFalls
Reply to Beachboy

Popcorn is my favorite food. I have eaten about 1/2 cup. No trouble.
Before, hubby and I would go to the theatre, popcorn for dinner.
I would eat a large tub. No butter, just amazing, fresh popped movie corn.
I am drooling now. 🙁

Mysterious Mose
Reply to Beachboy

I stay away from any snacks containing corn for that very reason, gas. Especially in the evening. Really, really hate when that balloon has me floating above the bed at 3 in the morning! :-))

Daniel

Beachboy

Good morning M. Mose,

Bag has been in blimp mode since yesterday afternoon. I'm gonna wear out the flange burping it so much. Driving home in traffic yesterday (2-hour battle) was a challenge. Had an empty bag leaving work, had a gassy, nearly full bag an hour later. So the rest of the way home, I was burping, rearranging bag contents, and hoping I didn't have to pull over for a bag change out. Like changing a tire... but a little different. My commute takes me through some "rough" areas of LA county, so there's no way I would get off the 405 freeway and venture into neighboring cities.

Mysterious Mose
Reply to Beachboy

I'm here to tell you there are benefits to being retired! And not living in a densely populated area. :-))

Daniel

Beachboy

Fortunately, I live in Orange County next to an excellent hospital, Hoag. I live about 1500 feet from the beach, so it's an easy walk to escape the endless city. The main reason I remain in California is the close proximity to excellent healthcare. Plus... can't beat the weather.

Beachboy

We have the HB airshow today. Planes fly very low over my house. Won't see my cat for a few days.

MelissaJeanne
Reply to Mysterious Mose

What do you mean by "the under the covers test"?

Mysterious Mose
Reply to MelissaJeanne

Under the Covers Test: Crawl into bed and pull the covers over your head and take a whiff. Unless your bag is leaking, you're not going to smell anything.