Barrier Ring Melting in Hot Weather: Need Solutions

Replies
Views
Bizzybeth
Sep 04, 2023 3:42 pm

Hi! New to this site. My husband has a very deep stoma and we have been using an Eakin to seal wafer. This worked over the winter. It's hot and now the Eakin just melts and he leaks. Any suggestions? Note: He works outside all day.

Beachboy
Sep 04, 2023 4:05 pm

Hello Bizzybeth,

How long has your husband had an ostomy and what type does he have? Is his stoma sited on an area of skin that is relatively flat or near skin wrinkles and folds?

Dan

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,889 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member
Sep 04, 2023 5:20 pm

Hello Bb,

I started to have this problem several months ago. I tried several different full systems and none of them solved it. However, I finally tried https://products.coloplast.us/coloplast/ostomy-care/brava/brava-ring/brava-protective-seal-convex/ and it does the trick quite well. I use it with my previous bag (Hollister) and it works amazing. 2 issues I have though.

1. It really sticks to the skin. Of course this is what I want to stop the leaks but it is really attached (I push it down while applying to make sure it doesn't leak). So I am going through a lot of remover spray with every bag change.

2. Fitting the convex seal underneath sometimes makes it hard for the barrier to stay attached so I am having to use barrier strips to make sure it stays on.

But it is working well and I am having to change less often with zero leaks.

Rose Bud 🌹
Sep 05, 2023 1:15 am

You can always call ConvaTec and talk to one of their representatives, and they can send you different samples or suggest what to do.

Beth22
Sep 05, 2023 2:04 am

You can also try using Brava Strip Paste. It's not a regular paste but it comes in a stick form, and you just break off a piece however big you need and you can roll it, shape it however you like or need to. I have problems with barrier rings and can't use them, so I will use the strip paste and I will flatten it on my wafer before putting it on, and it does a good job. Just an idea if you would like to try.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
ron in mich
Sep 05, 2023 12:56 pm

Hi BB, welcome to the site. Has your hubby tried using convex wafers instead of using the rings? You can get varying degrees of convexity, plus using a belt to force his stoma to stick out more and empty into the pouch.

Bizzybeth
Sep 05, 2023 3:02 pm
Reply to Beachboy

Colostomy, midline. Very deep hole so no matter how convex the wafer is, he still needs some form of barrier ring to seal

Bizzybeth
Sep 05, 2023 3:04 pm
Reply to Beth22

Thank you for the suggestion. I will get this for him and try it.

AlexT
Sep 05, 2023 4:10 pm

I've never had an issue with my barrier ring melting in the heat and I'm out in the heat a lot and wear a wrap most of the time that tends to hold the heat/sweat in and right on my appliance. I use Hollister rings pretty much exclusively now but have used Eakin ones before, never an issue. How long are you going between changes? Are the leaks coming at any time…new appliance change, day later, days later, etc? For me, I've found about 4 days is my confidence level on my equipment and change at that interval and I don't try to push it an extra day or two, especially with how hard I am on my bags (bending, stretching, squatting, climbing, walking, sitting, etc everyday at work).

Beachboy
Sep 06, 2023 2:05 am

He might consider surgical revision to pull the intestine out a bit. Other ostomates on this site have had revisions with good outcome.

Pinkie pooh
Sep 06, 2023 1:44 pm

Beachboy is right, I had to have a revision because it was too flush & leaks having to change 3-4 times a day. Best decision I ever made.

Doe1mama
Sep 10, 2023 4:23 pm

By very deep, I assume you mean not much of the stoma is sticking out. My husband has an ileostomy and periodically when the output pancakes, the stoma hides almost even with the skin. We then use the convex barrier rings (this group advised me to try this) and they did the trick until the stoma was back out.

datart
Sep 10, 2023 7:00 pm

The past 4 years I've been using silicone barriers by Trio Ostomy. (https://trioostomycare.us/) My supplies provider carries them, but I'm not sure of the availability with all providers. A few years ago they weren't quite as ubiquitous as Convatec or Coloplast in the U.S., but I think that's changed. They don't absorb liquid, don't break down or melt, and retain their shape. After using a number of other products before, I swear by these now. I've never had a leak or issue and move about my day with total confidence. 

After reading the reply that your husband has a deep area around the stoma, this might not be the answer for him, as my skin is fairly flat or slightly convex around it. They do have different sizes and convex seals. 

Hope this helps.

Redondo
Sep 10, 2023 8:40 pm

I have found that my Eakin seal melts and breaks down more now that I'm living in Florida and a warmer climate. I think my answer is to change more often.

JustGigi1967
Sep 10, 2023 8:47 pm

I suggest trying two things.

First, a silicone barrier ring from Trio. The silicone stands up well to perspiration and heat. They do make a convex ring. I use that along with a Coloplast convex pouch.

Second, for added security, try using a paste and prep wipe. I use two prep wipes, pectin-based paste, silicone barrier ring, convex pouch, and Brava strips (the extra wide).

Don't be afraid to ask for samples from as many companies as possible. I also had a very recessed stoma and had revision surgery. While I still have seeping under the barrier ring from time to time, I do not have leaks that push the appliance off my abdomen.

gracie in texas
Sep 10, 2023 9:47 pm

Have you tried SkinTac?

Rulithia
Sep 11, 2023 12:42 pm

Barrier stripes by Coloplast are terrific for this problem.

nicholasclarke75
Sep 11, 2023 9:55 pm

I used to mow lawns for a living but had a major issue with heat causing sweat which caused my bag to come off on a regular basis.... not the sort of thing my boss @ the time could handle..... in fact I lost my job because of it. I don't know whether this will help but I've used several different brands of bags all of which were useless. I currently use the Dansac Nova & have done so for at least a decade because they have great sticking power. I don't use rings because they just melt. Pointless.

Chickadee
Oct 16, 2023 2:46 pm

Had this issue on vacation in Mexico. Believe it or not, I stopped using barrier rings and paste completely and now only use a flange. I have never had an issue with leaking. I use a 2-piece Hollister. Change the flange every 4-5 days.