Is it true that bags can explode on planes due to air pressure?

Replies
Views
OKJA
Oct 20, 2023 11:24 am

Hi

Is it true that your bag should not blow up on board due to air pressure?

I'm thinking of going to Australia.

Thanks

Mysterious Mose
Oct 20, 2023 11:31 am

It will not.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,886 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

bowsprit
Oct 20, 2023 11:48 am

Won't happen, the cabins are pressurized.

IGGIE
Oct 20, 2023 1:28 pm

If it does, you might get there before the plane.

Ben38
Oct 20, 2023 2:16 pm

Mine never has; that's all I can say.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
AlexT
Oct 20, 2023 2:51 pm

No issue flying

eefyjig
Oct 20, 2023 6:21 pm
Reply to IGGIE

🤣!

eefyjig
Oct 20, 2023 6:22 pm

I remember being so concerned about this. It won't happen, don't worry!

bowsprit
Oct 20, 2023 7:59 pm

That is one item not worth worrying about when flying, though there are many others, especially as you get older. On a Lufthansa flight to Frankfurt, high up in the air, we got a bit noisy and a passenger complained to the stewardess. He looked important and this was first-class. She asked us to keep it down a bit. Our friend, a bit more inebriated than the others, responded by saying that we will if the complainant steps outside with him to settle it! Everybody laughed it off.

Grammy
Oct 21, 2023 5:02 pm

No, your bag will be fine in the air. Go and enjoy, but bring all your supplies onboard with you in case your luggage gets lost.

kiwichick
Oct 21, 2023 6:39 pm

It will not, I've just flown from New Zealand to Holland. The only thing that I would recommend is to add a short leg bag so you don't have to get up each hour to use the bathroom. The other thing is going through customs can take a long time at times with no access to bathrooms while in the queue; therefore, the leg bag will give you more time. The flip side is that customs may request a check in a private room of your leg bag to ensure you're not bringing in contraband, which is what happened to me last week!

bethenderboogy
Oct 21, 2023 7:10 pm

Don't worry, it is perfectly safe. I went to Australia in March and am going again in two weeks' time, as I have family there. So just go and enjoy, not worry.

desertsun
Oct 21, 2023 7:27 pm

I do tend to get a bit of gas buildup when I fly. Once my stoma actually swelled up from it. I called my WOCN and she said that it was probably a gas buildup, so I should just take Gasex before I fly. Then, while in flight, walk the aisle a couple of times. It worked like a charm, and now I've never had any more issues when I fly. I'm not sure of what the relationship is between a pressurized cabin and this gas issue, but my solution solved the problem.

ahynes111
Oct 22, 2023 5:40 am
Reply to IGGIE

Oh my… you made me chuckle!

chrony
Oct 23, 2023 9:03 pm

Your body is pressurized with the airplane, and your bag is connected to your body.

Lins0808
Oct 26, 2023 7:51 pm

Not a problem. I have an ileostomy and fly all the time.

Safe travels!

Daisy2023
Nov 22, 2023 6:05 pm

Do you have to go to the special needs line? What exactly takes place if anyone  wouldn’t  mind sharing. I’m terrified to fly and it’s getting me down as I’d like to take a trip. 

Mysterious Mose
Nov 22, 2023 6:56 pm
Reply to Daisy2023

No special lines. Just inform the TSA agents you have an ostomy. The most they are likely to do is have you run your hand over your bag (outside your clothing) so they can test for explosives. Sometimes, they don't even do that.

Daniel

Daisy2023
Nov 22, 2023 7:15 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

they would never want to look would they? I think it would be terribly nervous. Have you flown alot? 

Mysterious Mose
Nov 22, 2023 8:53 pm

Only a few times. But, when I do, it is pretty straightforward. And no, never has anyone wanted to look. They really do not need to. I did have one guy run his hand over my bag outside my clothes after I had done the same thing. No big deal for me, but I can understand if you are self-conscious about your bag. There are probably discreet ways to do that, but I would not be the one to ask. Others here have flown a lot and maybe have better advice.

Daniel

Mary95
Jan 14, 2024 5:10 pm

I have had more than one TSA agent, both US and foreign, require that I show them my colostomy bag. Super annoying! I have TSA Fast Pass now to avoid this. No other issues with flying, even long flights.