Declining Quality of Convatec Pouch 411491: Seeking Advice

Replies
Views
MOST52

I have used the Convatec Natura Sur-Fit two-piece system for many years. For the last year, the pouch 411491 has deteriorated in quality greatly. The bottom edges stick together and are almost impossible to separate to allow drainage. Odor control is also not as good as before. I called Convatec and the person I talked with couldn't care less. I'm tempted to change to another system to avoid the aggravation. I pour baby oil in the pouch to make things easier, but that was never necessary before. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks in advance for any info!

ron in mich

Hi, I also use Convatec 2pc, and what I've noticed is that one box will have a vinyl-like feel and the next a plastic feel, if that makes any sense. Additionally, the vinyl ones have a burned plastic odor after a couple of days.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,600 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mysterious Mose

I've been quite happy with the Hollister 2-piece system with the 18183 pouch. They are a bit crinkly and, like every other system, it doesn't take long for the filter to clog. But, they work fine for me.

I would suggest you take it easy with the baby oil. I am not familiar with the Convatec product, but if it has a Velcro closure, baby oil can weaken that. I use water to help empty my bag. Pour in about 150 ml, slosh it around, and empty. I then use a similar amount to rinse the bag. I find this helps keep that opening blast of aroma to a manageable amount. That and avoiding onions and peppers whenever possible. Sometimes that is not all that easy. :-)

Daniel

gentlejohn

First of all, if you can, you should fold or pleat the opening of the pouch so it opens easily. This is easy to do with Hollister 2-piece systems. Sometimes people will cut a wedge out of the Hollister bags to keep them from sticking. Another thing I have found is to use a combination lubricant/deodorant. I use Hollister Adapt lubricant/deodorant. I have found that adding a bit of M9 completely eliminates any odor. It is best to use a lubricant designed for a stoma because other products could interfere with barrier adhesion. Baby oil would likely be cheaper, but it has no odor control. I have heard that another inexpensive way of controlling odor is to put an Altoid in the bag. I have never used baby oil or Altoids. I regularly use a lubricant/deodorant after each pouch emptying. I have had no problems with Hollister barriers or bags.

MOST52
Reply to gentlejohn

Thanks for the info!

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister