Protein

Replies
Views
infinitycastle52777

I was wondering, my former ostomy nurse imparted on me that I need a lot of protein with an ostomy. So every once in a while I use protein power in a shake. I also about once a week eat Quest Protein chips. The spice ones aren't bad. I do not really eat red meat. Sometimes I eat chicken, but it doesn't digest very well so I don't know how much is absorbed. I was just wondering what others here do for protein? And were you ever told that protein is key in ostomies? 

Lee

Ben38

I just eat the same as before I had an ostomy and have done for over 30 years I have annual bloods taken and so far nothing has ever come up as a problem  

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,630 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

infinitycastle52777
Reply to Ben38

Consider yourself lucky then. I can't eat the same as I used to, and my levels are frequently off.

Lee

AlexT

Protein is key in healing and pretty much the main thing for your cells.  There’s a gazillon things that give you protein, you’d just have to Google to see what you like. If you’re having issues with protein levels, having a protein shake once in awhile won’t help much, you’d need them daily. 

Ostoberry

I protein powder in smoothies, whey protein at least 25 grams. I also buy Atkins protein plus shakes from Amazon because they are cheaper than most with 30 grams. I buy chocolate, not bad. I eat eggs, scrambled should be easy on the digestive system. One egg has 6 grams. I eat salmon which also gives you the omegas you need. Cooked salmon doesn't require the chewing a steak or chicken breast would take. I also make ground lean turkey or ground lean beef. One pound and 1/2 can of manwich, easy prep. There are also more cereals and breads with higher protein. I would try for 50 grams, general recommendation for adult women is 47. Eat smaller servings more often. Good luck.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Ostoberry

Ostoberry again. I have no problem with lactose or dairy so I buy whatever Greek yogurt the store has on sale. Lots of varieties have 12 - 15 grams. I also like cottage cheese with canned peaches. Cup of cottage cheese has 25 grams. Gatorade even has a variety with 10 grams that is reasonably priced on Amazon.

infinitycastle52777
Reply to Ostoberry

I do eat greek yogurt like 2 times a week maybe. I can't eat cottage cheese because it was the food I used with my eating disorder. I am not allowed to have it now and my mom will not allow it in the house even for her to have. I don't drink Gatorade, only Gfit from them. Thank you for the ideas. Maybe i should eat my yogurt more often. I got some today and it was 2 for $3. I got 4 but I think it is a ridiculous price. I mean it's a little cup of yogurt it probably costs 23 cents to make. 

Lee

infinitycastle52777
Reply to Ostoberry

I use whey protein too but just not every day. My stomach can be a little unpredictable. I have tried atkins protein snacks before but did not like the taste. Scrambled eggs come out my ostomy like they went in. I am allergic to fish. I pretty much do not eat red meat, maybe 2 times a year, if at that. I do like ground turkey, actually I am making my special thanksgiving meatloaf for thanksgiving. I really am not trying to be as difficult as I must sound. It is really good to hear what others do to get protein. That's why I asked.

Lee 

infinitycastle52777
Reply to AlexT

Here's a lark, I googled what foods have protein in them and it told me to eat kangaroo!

Lee

Axl
Reply to Ben38

Ditto

Axl

I don't know how you came up with roo but they're hopping around the neighbourhood here, maybe I could mail you one .... !

infinitycastle52777
Reply to Axl

It was listed with some other meats. I was like WTF I am not eating a kangaroo. Plus in central illinois there are not exactly an abundance of kangaroos hopping about. That would be cool if there was, but I still wouldn't eat one.

Lee

DexieB
Reply to Axl

A little off topic but those look terrifying in videos I've seen. Are they aggressive?  And the spiders in Australia....wow, not sure how you fall asleep every night!?  LOL 

AlexT
Reply to infinitycastle52777

You gotta eat protein more than once in awhile to help your numbers. Yogurt daily, eggs, any type of meat, certain veggies, dairy, add in a protein shake once or twice a day….its easy to get alot of protein but you gotta do it regularly to see the benefits. 

infinitycastle52777
Reply to AlexT

That sounds like a lot of food. I am trying to only eat 1,000 calories a day.

Lee

Axl
Reply to DexieB

Hi D

They can be aggressive, two types, grey and red. Reds when mature are the big powerful ones,  approaching 200 lbs and nearly 6' when they stand up on their back legs. My brother was attacked by one of the smaller greys when we were kids, they can all be aggressive when they want to, but they're wild animals, that's what they do. Lots of spiders, and don't forget the snakes !! I live in a rural area and drive past Roo's every day on the way to work, the others you don't see too much of, but they're there.

AlexT

With an ileostomy, only getting 1000 calories will be difficult unless you eat just enough to keep you going. Remember, your food is going out way faster than normal and a lot of nutrients are not getting absorbed. 

DexieB
Reply to Axl

OH wow, I didn't know there are 2 different types. That is terrifying that your brother was attacked!  And I could never live there, because I would immediately burn the house down if I saw a spider that big.  LOL.  Thanks for sharing!

infinitycastle52777
Reply to AlexT

I think 1,000 cal because I am obsessing right now and probably not making the best decisions. 

Lee

daanders2

I have a protein shake every morning

AlexT

Obsessing about?

betsyb

Premier Protein drinks are good and only 1 gram sugar. Chocolate is real good.

AlexT
Reply to betsyb

Yes, they are. Optimum Nutrition gold standard is really good too. A scoop or two mixed with cold milk is about the best protein drink I’ve ever had. 

infinitycastle52777
Reply to betsyb

I had a protein shake today after my 3 mile walk. I just felt like I needed a boost and if I didn't do that I just knew I would snack on something less healthy. I use Meijers Whey Protein Chocolate Peanut butter flavor.

Past Member

My daughters keep encouraging me to drink bone broth.  When I have, its been extremely helpful.

pixiec
Reply to AlexT

Completely agree with AlexT.  I need a protein shake (Orgain from Amazon) every day and beef protein at least every other day. Other days I eat pork or chicken.  Salmon is excellent.   You really can't count calories when it comes to protein.  It's essential.