Tips for Cleaning Wafer Area Around Stoma When Changing Colostomy Bag

Replies
Views
Handy
Nov 20, 2023 9:44 pm

So any tips on how to clean area on wafer around stoma when just changing the bag? My stool is soft so often ends up mushed around the stoma and of course odor is still there even with bag change.

Mysterious Mose
Nov 20, 2023 10:19 pm

I generally just rinse the inside of my bag and around the stoma with water before removing. I only clean the connector, if it gets dirty. Otherwise, what's the point? It's just going to get messy again in a few minutes. :-))

Daniel

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

DexieB
Nov 20, 2023 10:27 pm

Hi Handy, I have a colostomy and the same thing happens to me all the time.  What I use is popsicle sticks from Amazon - they seem to fit perfectly in there for scraping and cleaning.  I also have a pancaking issue and these help me with that scenario too, to push it down.  Also, my wax ring tends to melt sometimes, and I can re-form it a little with the sticks - so they are multi-purpose for me.  I just throw the stick away each time.  I buy them by the box - like a thousand for under $5.  A little embarrassing to admit, but it's what works for me. I refer to them as my poopsicles.  ;) I'm sure others on here will have good recommendations!  As far as the odor, I just use M9 or Adapt Lubricating deodorant.  Take care!

AlexT
Nov 21, 2023 2:44 am

Use a drainable 1 piece setup, never an issue cleaning around where the 2 piece setups go together. 🤷‍♂️

Beachboy
Nov 21, 2023 4:25 am

Well..... I just clean the wafer connector part and snap on a new bag.   Everything else will get poopified again soon enough.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Play
IGGIE
Nov 21, 2023 1:51 pm

I have never just changed the bag. I change the two piece at the same time every Monday and every Friday. Why would you just change the bag, I don't get it. Regards IGGIE

Mysterious Mose
Nov 21, 2023 4:04 pm
Reply to IGGIE

I change only the bag on rare occasions. Usually only if I get clumsy and get the bag fabric dirty. That has only happened a couple of times during one of those groggy 3 AM dumps. 😭

DexieB
Nov 21, 2023 5:01 pm
Reply to IGGIE

Hi IGGIE, I also have a 2 piece and I change the whole set -up twice a week, but each day I change my bags since I don't have drainable bags. I don't have the time or space to change them at work in the public restroom...so I throw away the full bag and put on a new one.  And I'm not 100% sure, but my output might be thicker with a colostomy vs. ileostomy?  I don't have a lot of liquid to easily drain out, and usually only changing just the bags once or twice a day - so they work better for me than drainable.  

Beachboy
Nov 21, 2023 5:01 pm

I only change the bag cuz I'm lazy....   Bag change: 1 minute.  Wafer/bag change: 1 hour. (Cuz I take a shower and let my peristomal skin air out for a bit).  I'm an ex surfer... lazy beach boy.

IGGIE
Nov 22, 2023 4:24 am
Reply to DexieB

G-Day DB, You do what's best for you always. I'm doing a count down for you for the 30th January. Keep well xx  Regards IGGIE

DexieB
Nov 22, 2023 5:48 pm
Reply to IGGIE

Aww thanks! Sh!t is starting to get real now, no pun intended!  Today I got my paperwork for a leave of absence at work, and booked a hotel so I could be near the hospital the day before surgery (gotta do that lovely bowel prep).  Starting to get nervous about what I know is coming, but trying to think positively!  Thank you ;)

Mysterious Mose
Nov 22, 2023 6:53 pm
Reply to DexieB

We're pulling for you Dexie! You gonna be fine!

Daniel

Beachboy
Nov 22, 2023 7:41 pm

Good luck Dexie.

14jax71
Nov 22, 2023 8:01 pm

You will be fine, Dexie. I hope everything comes out smelling like roses, no pun intended!

Jax

DexieB
Nov 22, 2023 8:12 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Thank you so much! Sometimes I'm not sure if my body can withstand another surgery, but I guess what doesn't kill me makes me stronger, right?! :)

DexieB
Nov 22, 2023 8:12 pm
Reply to Beachboy

Thank you so much, it is appreciated! :)

DexieB
Nov 22, 2023 8:13 pm
Reply to 14jax71

Ha, that's a good one! Thank you so much :)

AlexT
Nov 22, 2023 10:47 pm
Reply to DexieB

Yes, normally colostomy output is thicker than ileostomy output. I was told I could use closed bags too, but I don't want to always carry another bag with me, and the thought of throwing 2 bags a day in the trash (60ish per month) would really bug me over the 7-9 drainable bags I use now.

xnine
Nov 22, 2023 11:09 pm

I just use TP. Two sheets folded over for the first wipe and two sheets folded over and in half again for the second wipe around the edge. If you do not get it all completely clean, that does not matter; intestines are used to it.

Handy
Nov 24, 2023 10:27 pm

Thanks all!!

IGGIE
Nov 27, 2023 1:26 pm
Reply to DexieB

I will never eat popsicles again.

javiervrbb
Jan 14, 2024 5:02 am

I use Remedy brand No Rinse Cleaning Spray formulated to gently cleanse. For bag odor, I use Convatec Esenta Lubricating Deodorant; it works great.

Past Member
Mar 11, 2024 12:18 pm

I have a 2-piece system with a closed bag. I actually use wipes to clean out the wafer with each bag change. I'm extra - I have to admit to keeping my bag super clean. I had a colectomy, so the output is thicker, and I do pancake often. I just started irrigating to help this process. However, "the good wipes" simply work for me in keeping everything clean with each bag change. After trying every lubricating deodorant under the sun, I am a fan of Brava lubricating deodorizing gel - I use the bottle when at home and the packs when on the go. I also blow a little air in (not much) to keep it from pancaking and use a filter cover. I hadn't heard of the Remedy no-rinse cleaning spray - so, I'll definitely be trying that next because we're technically not supposed to use wipes? Why, I don't know - they work for me. Maybe someone can answer that for me here?

xnine
Mar 11, 2024 2:04 pm

As for wipes, they contain lotions that may affect the adhesiveness of the ring or flange.