Post Op Pain

Replies
Views
MoeMoe

So I’m 5.5 months post op and I still have pain in my pelvis like it’s sore and sometimes to the left of the stoma it feels like tiny needle pricks even if there are no leaks. I still use the heating pad, a lot, because gas is still a tiny bit painful too. Not excruciating but it’s uncomfortable and the pain goes away when the gas comes out. It hurts in the mesentery part (my right side, think obliques) and the only reason I know about that is because I went to the ER a while back for pain and they told me it was the mesentery LOL I get pain there sometimes when output is thick. Additionally I might have a hernia, sometimes there is pain where the bulge is but since my insurance denied my request to see the surgeon who did the colostomy (it was an ER visit so out of network) I have to wait to see someone in my network now and it’s until the end of Jan. So until then, I was wondering if any one experienced intermittent pain this far out after surgery and what pain did you have or still sometimes get? My PCP told me to go to ER if other symptoms arise and I will if necessary but right now I feel like I’m good since pain is not excruciating nor constant. I can eat, don’t get nauseous and stoma is working and probably some of this is normal for my particular circumstance. I had an abscess from diverticulitis and needed open surgery to clean me out, 30 days later the dang thing came back with a vengeance and I had 3 abscesses that burst which then resulted in another clean out, cdiff and a colostomy. Most of the pain comes when I stand up from sitting or from sitting when laying down. Anyone else have post op pain this far out from surgery? 

AlexT

Gas bubbles can be uncomfortable. My hip cramps up still since surgery. 🤷‍♂️ 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,529 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello MoeMoe.
Thanks for sharing your story of pain as it is so good to know that other people have similar problems. 
I have had my stoma for many years, but still, my own pains are frequent and variable.
Recently the pains were intense and reminiscent of my heart attack, so I duly went to A&E to have it checked out. Their conclusions were that it was gut related and therefore not serious enough for further concern!
I tend to treat these things as 'natural' occurrences as most of the world's humans suffer with gut problems of one sort or another. It seems that we don't need a stoma to kick start this sort of problem. 
My own pains have been put down to: 

Blockages
Gas
Hiatus hernia
Peristomal hernia
lazy gut
prolapses.
It seems that almost anything can create a pain in the gut so, when I feel that the pains might be something not yet identified, I tend to get them checked out.
This way, I at least know what I'm dealing with, even if the pain doesn't go away. 
Best wishes
Bill

papaboo

Sorry for you pain and problems with insurance  I would push your insurance as far as you can look for a Patient Advocate that should be part of the Insurance company.  The gas can hurt specially with a parastomal hernia it bothers me a lot. I have serious back issues along with pelvic floor dysfunction now that is what really hurts for me. Right now its like a burning cigarette stuck in my anus.  I am 2 + years since my ostomy surgery and still have painful Stoma experiences. With not many doctors that will treat a male with pelvic floor dysfunction. I take MiraLAX  at least 2x a day to keep my stool loose other wise it would get to thick. But see if there is a Patient Advocate you can talk to. Because  the ER is just full of sick people.

MoeMoe
Reply to AlexT

Is the pain on the stoma side? 

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
MoeMoe
Reply to Bill

Thanks Bill, my side pain has been with me since surgery. It went away and now it’s back LOL guess I’m not alone in this. Thx for responding! 

MoeMoe
Reply to papaboo

Thank you for sharing papaboo, I’m sorry you are going thru so much. Im sending good vibes your way my friend!