Diet

Replies
Views
Nurse

5 weeks post ostomy.  Struggling with what to eat.  When can I eat veggies?  Eat something 1 time okay next time not.

Morning glory

Try to just introduce  one at a time chewing thoroughly.  This will give you a better  idea of what you can tolerate.  Everyone  has different foods they can eat. Plenty  of people  can eat anything they want. I have a hard time with fruits and raw vegetables.  I have to peel them and cook them well.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,529 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

warrior

drink..too..shakes..water..hydrate rather lack of it will send u back to hospital.

what morning glory said is true.

what others say is true. take notes. question everything. 

no bullshitz here. we are osties.

CrappyColon

What type of ostomy do you have? Have any colon left?

AlexT

All depends on what type of ostomy you have. Small amount every once in awhile and monitor how it comes out. 

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
warrior

she has a colostomy..a reversal due 2024..Feb.🤞🙋‍♂️

kittybou

Stir fried vegetables, cooked until there is absolutely no nutritional value left and chewed to death.

Then potato candy after. THAT makes everything ok! 😁

SeanB

As others have said, try different things. Try them in small doses and chew well and drink plenty of water. So far, I have not had any issues nor have I found anything I have not been able to tolerate. That said, I still have not tried much more than a few bites of salad, no other raw veggies, nothing like broccoli or cauliflower or brussel sprouts. Still going light on dairy.

Hardest part for me to remember is to take small bites and chew extra well.

Mysterious Mose

Given that you are only 5 weeks post-surgery and you are expecting a reversal in February, I would suggest that you not worry about veggies at this time. I would concentrate on gaining and maintaining a healthy weight leading up to another major surgery so soon since my last major surgery. I would concentrate on high protein and high calorie foods. Depending on how much of your colon is bypassed, you don't need most vegetables and can get your vitamins elsewhere. Again, my opinion. 😁

Daniel

Ileoc

I also have difficulty with vegetables.  I have an ileostomy and a hernia, which will be fixed next month.  I've found that drinking V8 juice helps me get several servings of vegetables without worrying about a blockage.