No output for 24 hrs

Replies
Views
SeanB

Hi gang

So, I have not had any output now for like 24 hrs. This followed a period of really heavy output yesterday morning. Before my surgery, I would occasionally experience something similar where I would not go for a day or so and then have a heavy day. Wondering if it is just more of the same since I can’t see why the surgery (colostomy) would really change this.

The flip side is I ate a few grapes for the first time and am paranoid about blockages. I made sure to really chew and drink a lot of water with them. I have no pain or discomfort or other issues that would indicate a blockage. 

When should I become concerned and take something like milk of magnesia or something to help move things along? Thoughts?

thanks

warrior

Damn Sean I'm sorry you're going through this wow I don't know what to tell you other than contact your surgeon but if I were to guess maybe there's a term we use "wake up time" is needed for your small colon  to wake up and it needs some time I eat grapes all the time I don't have any problem I mean I practically inhale grapes and there's no problem so if you suspect grapes I don't think that's your issue something something could be clogged and if it were you'd be in pain buddy I mean roll over flat on the floor kind of kidney stone pain passing and I don't believe you're doing that so if there's no pain you could possibly ride it out but just give your surgeon a heads..and document this.. time and date..  continue with the fluids because the pressure will eventually blow whatever is stuck if something is stuck  that's the way I look at it mechanically and you're a mechanic you get this right?? so yeah like a potatoe in a tail pipe kind of logic.  drink. create pressure..hopefully it will pop.. if pain? see dr.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,531 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Beachboy

I have a colostomy too.  Sometimes I've had no output for 2 days.  No problem.  If you had a blockage.... it would be very painful.

Mysterious Mose

From my understanding, it is not unusual for a colostomate to go a day or two without output. As an ileostomate, that makes me furiously jealous! 🥸

Daniel

Bill

Hello SeanB.
Thanks for your post. I can understand your concerns as this happens to me regularly. 
It is difficult to tell people when they should be concerned about something like this as we are all different in the way our systems work.
For years I did not have this sort of problem and then for no apparent reason the symptoms you describe started.

I tend to try not to worry about anything stoma related until I start getting pain and even then I'll leave it a day or so.
Taking things like milk of magnesia or laxatives  is unlikely to give you a definitive answer to your question, as you describe having heavy output before the lack of output. It sounds as if you have simply emptied out and the system takes a while before it fills up again. My own problems have coincided with distinct signs that I have a 'lazy -gut' and a 'prolapsed stoma' also gives a clue to the system not working like it used to. 
With all these things, I find it useful, for my own peace of mind, to occasionally share my concerns with a stoma nurse, to see what they have to say. 
On my last trip to them she told me that she thought that my colon was just a heap of mush,. and it was not likely to ever work as well as it did at the beginning. 
My take on this is that, at some time in the future, if I have worse problems, they are likely to recommend taking out or bypassing the offending colon and giving me an ileostomy to replace my colostomy.  I have decided that for now I will continue with what I've got and take whatever comes.
I hope that your situation is just a temporary blip, or that you will settle down to the new 'routine' as if it is a new 'normal'. 
I do hope you get some more replies to your post, as it is good know that others are in the same or similar positions.  

Best wishes

Bill 

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
AlexT

I usually get a lot of output and then nothing for a day or day and a half. No worries, you just emptied your system out and it’ll fill back up and you’ll be pooping just fine. 

Beachboy

If I drink grape or apple juice.. I get output.... pretty quickly.  Lots 'o' Liquid. Sneaky too.  I usually don't feel a thing.  When I take my occasional peek at Mr. Stoma.... there hangs a plastic time bomb.

Taco Bell fast food causes it too.  Found that out the hard way coming home from a trip... and stuck in traffic as my bag balloned.

I wear a Hollister retainer belt, so don't sense bag weight.

Justbreathe

Some time ago I read comments about having grape juice on hand just in case of AFOB “a fear of blockage”… the suggested brand was Kedem 100% Grape Juice.  I keep it on hand and hope to never have an attack of AFOB and if I do I will immediately down it like my most missed liquid - a giant glass of wine - these days I call it whine as I hold up my hand and say “no thank you” and mumble under my breath - damn stomacide…..jb

Chickadee

Happens to me all the time. Sometimes if I have a blowout/heavy output I don’t go for a day or 2.  Applesauce helps to regulate both ways.