Skin Bleeding Near Stoma

Replies
Views
SeanB
Jan 08, 2024 5:13 pm

So I seem to have a wound or something that is bleeding near my stoma. It's not the stoma itself but rather some sort of cut or something that keeps bleeding. Since it is under the appliance (I use a Hollister 2-piece system), I am worried about it getting infected but cannot figure out what to do. Put some Neosporin on it? Not sure how long that would last or how good it would work.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

warrior
Jan 08, 2024 6:09 pm

Hey neighbor, how's it going? Yeah, I'm reading your post. Are you absolutely positive it's not the stoma that's actually weeping blood? I've had that happen to me, and I thought there was a cut in the stoma. So you might want to take a mirror and take a look underneath if that's where it's bleeding from because they do bleed. Some do bleed, and if you're using the type of appliance where you have to cut it to fit, you have to be careful with that type of appliance because cutting it usually leaves rough edges, and that will cause the stoma to bleed. Maybe, I don't know, you said something about stitches that might be coming loose in the previous thread. I'm not sure, maybe it could be bleeding from one of the stitch holes, but I doubt that.

This bleeding from a stoma is pretty normal until the skin around the stoma actually adheres to it. So if it's profuse bleeding, I would obviously contact the doctor or a nurse to get that taken care of. But use a mirror underneath the stoma because I suspect that's where it might be bleeding. That's where mine bled, but over time it actually heals up, and it's not really a big concern.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,834 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT
Jan 08, 2024 7:22 pm

Cut it while shaving the area? I'd just put a little stoma powder on it and a little dab of barrier film and see how that works.

Morning glory
Jan 08, 2024 10:15 pm

Neosporin or any ointment will keep the bag from sticking. Agree that you can use the stoma powder. Do the crust method. If you continue to bleed, check with your wound care nurse or doctor.

Past Member
Jan 08, 2024 11:52 pm

I had this and was told it was an area of skin that overhealed. It was a bit red and bled only when I cleaned it, then stopped after a few seconds. I got some paste to apply to the area during bag changes, and it seems to have settled down. I believe they can be looked at if bleeding continues and cauterized.

Ask your stoma team to take a look at it to confirm.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
CrappyColon
Jan 09, 2024 2:33 am

Wash with soap and water during your next bag change… soap and water is recommended more for wound care than Neosporin or anything topical like that. Someone else mentioned the part already about Neosporin keeping the wafer from sticking like it should too. Does it look infected at all to you?

Justbreathe
Jan 09, 2024 12:07 pm

My hubby's dermatologist told us many people are allergic to Neosporin—my hubby is one of them, so keep this in mind. I have frequently mentioned I use Vicks VapoRub when the skin adjacent to the stoma “flares.” These flares often have a tiny bit of blood. These flares, for me, are a result of the bag and barrier ring not being “snugged up” close to the stoma, allowing toxic waste to sit there until the next change. And just as I have said before, the Vicks relieves the discomfort. After I apply the Vicks, I apply a bit of stoma powder, then tap with a barrier wipe, and voila, cured by the next change (I change every other day). This is just my experience—may not work for others. —jb

DexieB
Jan 09, 2024 7:45 pm
Reply to Justbreathe

Happens to me too... I've never tried Vicks! Thanks!!

HiEveryone
Jan 11, 2024 12:37 am

I've been reading a lot of articles that say calamine lotion is good. Just make sure it's dry before you put your bag on. Mine is newer, and they've had a terrible time finding the right adhesive. My skin is raw on one section and really hurts when I do anything. I'm gonna try the powder by itself without the skin prep next time, and if that doesn't work, I'll try the calamine. This is pretty new to me. Any suggestions are welcome!

On another note, I read that eating marshmallows before changing the bag makes it behave longer. That might solve the problem for shower people too…