Is White Freckled Substance in Ostomy Bag a Sign of Bacteria?

Replies
Views
Milhouse04
Feb 20, 2024 10:41 pm

I wear a clear transparent ostomy bag and have started to notice a white freckled substance spotting the inside of my bag. Is this bacteria? Possibly from something I'm consuming? I don't want this to cause an infection, so I'm going to change it out. It's probably been about 4 days.

Happy-but-Newbie
Feb 21, 2024 9:08 am

Could also be mucus...

I don't wear transparent ones because I would be wondering and worrying all the time ehehhe

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Justbreathe
Feb 21, 2024 12:54 pm

I wear a clear bag as well - do you wear a barrier ring? I have noticed from time to time if the barrier ring is not tightly adhered to wax, pieces will break off and fall into the bag - sounds kind of like what you are describing. jb

infinitycastle52777
Feb 21, 2024 1:15 pm

Could also be a medication you are taking. When I took magnesium in pill form, it used to come out as a white powdery substance in my bag. I switched to liquid magnesium, and the problem went away. But it could be a medication that is not being absorbed.

Justbreathe
Feb 21, 2024 1:21 pm
Reply to infinitycastle52777

Good point…

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Play
Milhouse04
Feb 21, 2024 5:54 pm

Interesting, I do take Prozac for anxiety in pill form. I didn't think about mucus; I guess that too could be the reason.

warrior
Feb 22, 2024 12:02 am

What you spotted there, friend, is a UFO- 🛸📡

Unidentified

Freaking

Object.

Hope you get it sorted. Can you get it analyzed by your PCP? Lab?