Ileostomy vs. Colostomy: What's the Difference?

Replies
Views
Kimmy050263
Feb 24, 2024 11:09 pm

I have what I assume is a colostomy. I see lots of questions here about ileostomy. Trying to get educated. What is the difference?

Kim

JVM261
Feb 25, 2024 12:40 am

When you say several years, do you mean like five years or ten years, or what is the ballpark of several years?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,840 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT
Feb 25, 2024 9:57 am

Short version... you poop a lot more liquid stuff with an ileostomy and a lot more often than you do with a colostomy.

JVM261
Feb 25, 2024 3:07 pm
Reply to

I was looking at one of the social media influencers, and she was saying that a nurse told her on social media that it's not true that her ileostomy output doesn't smell because the nurse works in the hospital and she has treated ileostomy patients and their output smells. I've talked on here about being in a nursing home after surgery and experiencing a smell that was really bad, but I thought it was from the food, and I still think it was from the food a little bit because the food was horrendous. Even my dog wouldn't eat the food. But what didn't click to me until recently is that I was on antibiotics. I got C. diff in part from antibiotics, but also antibiotics saved my life after, so it's a double-edged sword to say the least. But anyway, I say all that to say that the antibiotics, I think, is really what made the smell. I was able to keep my bag on for a week, and I left it out this morning. I thought I threw it away, but I left it out by mistake in the bathroom (it was one of those nights where I was so exhausted, but I had to change the bag because of the itching), and I didn't smell anything.

rlevineia
Feb 25, 2024 6:01 pm
Reply to

I had salmon in garlic sauce last night. So wee!!

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Mysterious Mose
Feb 25, 2024 6:46 pm
Reply to

Egad and little fishes! Sure would be nice if my shit didn't stink. But all I have to do is eat a bunch of raw onion or eat some fish, and things can get pretty stinky on my end. Even when I use bag deodorizers, things can get a bit smelly if I eat the "wrong" things.

warrior
Feb 25, 2024 6:57 pm

i have a hard time believing our poop does not stink. with or without digestive issues..

foods contribute to this. i agree.

take any normal bm person with out digestive issues  at any given bm during the day and tell me  THEY don't stink.

like dog shit on a shoe.. it stinks.

if u guys don't experience that stink..u are lucky and blessed. thank you for sharing...

TerryLT
Feb 25, 2024 9:40 pm
Reply to JVM261

I can't speak to the antibiotics thing, but it doesn't surprise me that they would have an effect on output smell. What I can speak to is how different diets affect smell. When I first got my ileostomy (I had started with a colostomy) and was still in the hospital, I noticed when changing my pouch that my output did not have any detectable smell. I even commented to my ostomy nurse about it. I was eating only the totally bland hospital diet, of course. As soon as I got home and resumed my normal diet, everything changed and it got really stinky again. I eat lots of spices, onions, garlic, cruciferous vegetables, beans, etc., and stinky poo is the price to pay for it.

Terry