small holes in lock and roll closure of hollister ostomy bags

Replies
Views
hiiligirl

I am getting small holes in the lock and roll closure area.  This never used to be a problem.  It has been more than one lot number of bags.  

Morning glory

It seems to be a problem  from time to time with all of the manufacturers.  I have had little holes in my convatec.  Call them and they will more than likely  send replacement  ones.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,591 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

warrior

there has been one other report on holes in our bags.. the poster may read this and follow up.

the name brand escapes me but it appears this is happening.

the manufacturer may be going cheap on materials.. all you can do is return them and roll dice next lot is better...

w30bob

Hi hiili,

How long has this bag been in use? I ask because I've seen this happen with my Hollister bags.........not sure whose bag you're using.......and it comes from having solid hard things, like pieces of salt or undigested food in that area of the closure when you press it shut.  When I close mine I start in the middle and use my thumbs and forefingers and slide them outward from the middle to close the closure.  If there's anything solid or gritty in the rolled up section it gets squeezed out toward the ends when you slide your fingers along the closure outward in both directions.  This generates a tremendous amount of pressure under the plastic and when you get to the end the hard pieces have no where to go......so they puncture the plastic making small holes.  To end that use some toilet paper and clean out the end of the bag so there's nothing solid in the part that rolls up.  Now if you do that already, or the bag is brand new and looks like that........you're getting defective bags.   

;O)

Mysterious Mose

What Bob said. The tail of my Hollister bags have developed pin hole leaks that I have marked up to things like raspberry seeds getting underneath the seal and also probably irritated by my "IGGIE clip". I eat a lot of fruit with little seeds and try to keep an eye out for such things.

Daniel

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
AlexT
Reply to w30bob

It says in the title whose bag…..Hollister. Never had an issue with mine. 🤷‍♂️

w30bob
Reply to AlexT

It was a test.  You passed!

;O)

JVM261

Had a leak this AM. Hollister. I kept looking at the top at the base plate. So mad. Because I have an appointment to go to, and I could see like little dots of you know on my pants and everything but I couldn’t figure out where it was coming from. Sure enough it was one little hole I remembered this thread. It was one hole at the closure. I should say that I love this company and it was a freak thing, but it was surely annoying. 

IGGIE

I have always used Hollister and never had a problem with the base closing part. Just looking at your photo it looks as if it as been used a lot. If you are trying to get extended life out of the bag then wear & tear looks just like that. 4 days is recommended. Also the IGGIE clip will not make it worse if you fold it over at least twice, I fold it over three times which will completely cover the velcro closer.  Regards IGGIE

IGGIE
Reply to Mysterious Mose

G-Day Daniel, If your IGGIE clip is rubbing on the velcro tag its because your not folding it over enough, I fold it over three times and it acts as a padding. Regards IGGIE

Mysterious Mose
Reply to IGGIE

Yes, I normally fold it once and it is fine. I had a problem when I wasn't folding it at all. Did that while on the flights to and from London to get more space while in the air. But for some reason, didn't go back to normal when I got home. :-)

Daniel