Skin reacting badly with coloplast products

Replies
Views
ryoung7

Hi - has anyone experienced skin problems after having used Coloplast product successfully for many years? If so what was the solution?

Many thanks ,

Bryce

Hi - Coloplast user for 12 years and had the same thing.  Used Barrier Skin Wipes for  couple of changes and that solved the problem.  Best 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,589 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

ryoung7
Reply to Bryce

Thank you - can I ask what barrier wipes did you use? I have tried some with little success

IGGIE

Change products and try new things, if one gives you problems stop using them. Regards IGGIE

Hisbiscus

I have adhesive allergies so it took time to find one that did not bother my skin.the different companies use different adhesives and some have a choice of different adhesives that they make. For instance convatec has stomahesive and durahesive.  New hope has a bag that is non adhesive although im not to sure how that would work out. As someone else mentioned. Try out different things until you find the right stuff for you. This is the most frustrating part of ostomy at least it was for me 

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Bryce
Reply to ryoung7

Either Cavilon from 3M or Silesse from Convatec seem to work well. Have had a problem recently with the Coloplast Skin Barriers recently as they seem to dissolve the adhesive even after careful drying.

Ben38

If it's just something simple like shaving rash any barrier even using sudocrem for a short time will clear it up, if it's an allergy to the adhesive the only solution is to change to another brand, I know it's not easy to change when you've used a product for a long time that you feel safe and confident with but it's the only way. 

ryoung7
Reply to Ben38

Thank you everyone! I am hoping not to have to change as I have used Coloplast from the start (2013) and it has been good to me and I trust the product.

can anyone recommend a good urostomy and colostomy product?

Bertha

I use Coloplast and only have a skin problem if any output leaks onto the skin. Whenever I do a bag change (about every 5th day), before attaching the new bag, I always wipe down the surrounding area with a thin layer of calamine lotion and let it dry (it's fast). It really calms any irritation and also helps to prevent it. A friend with a stoma uses friars balsam in the same way, but that stings if you have any broken skin, only for a couple of seconds though.