It may not be too bad if you
are able to do normal pooh
for then, you can just crap and wipe,
sometimes within a single swipe.

But, if you have a stoma, you 
have many more things you must do.

(continued->)

I WISH MY HANDS WOULD FUNCTION WELL.
                                                                        (continued->)

You need your hands to function well
to manage pooh and quell the smell,
otherwise, it may work out
that output is spread all about. 

You need your hands to hold the gear 
with confidence and without fear
that it might slip away from you
and leave you holding just the pooh.

The stoma bags are well and good
as long as you can know you could
cut the hole the size you want
then bags become a symbiont.

They have to fit both snug and firm 
so, if your hands are too infirm,
the chances are it will not fit
and you will end up in the shit.

There are some bags for ostomates
that with bad hands can just frustrate
because they’re fiddly to apply
which means we wouldn’t even try.

And, irrigation would be out
because what that is all about 
is holding onto a device
which, if it slipped, would not be nice. 

So we’re restricted to the stuff
that we can use, and that is tough
because there’s gear available 
to those who might be more able.

For those who have two working hands
it may be hard to understand 
the plight of those whose hands are crap
so, stomas are a handicap. 

B.Withers 2024

(Acknowledgements to ‘aTraveler’ for this concept.)

kittybou

Yep! know the feeling. Spine surgery made my next hand numb, I'm left handed. I make up lots of new words trying to change and cutting holes. Dropping the bag when it is prepared is fun too.

Could be worse, no hands would really be fun. 🤭

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,649 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

ron in mich

Hi Bill arthritis and a trembling hands certainly make for interesting bag changes, as does eating soupand trying to be neat about it.

aTraveler

Good job, as always, Bill. You know there are many cruel and uncaring sites on the internet -- even though it does a tremendous good, I've often said it is a net negative for facilitating so much hate from like minded folks whom would not have met and collaborated otherwise. This site does an amazing good by providing a wonderful haven for ostomates. Bill you choose to share your talent with us and that is one of the positive things made possible by the internet. I am glad to have crossed paths with you. 

JVM261

Spastic hands here. Beautiful words. I feel you…I understand.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
TerryLT

I feel for you Bill.  I have a very little arthritis in a couple of fingers, so nothing much to complain about, but I do think/worry about how I would manage my ostomy if I became incapacitated in some way.  I imagine most ostomates worry about that particular part of our necessary day to day functioning as we age.  Asking for help with some things might not be so hard, but asking for help emptying or changing your ostomy appliance would be a bridge too far for many of us.  I hope you are still able to manage on your own, but from what you have revealed on these pages, it sounds like you have a very supportive partner who would be there for you in any capacity should it become necessary.

Terry

Bill
Reply to TerryLT

Hello TerryLT.

Thank you for your supportive reply to this post.

I have indeed thought long and hard about what I might do if I became dependent on someone else for help with my stoma and yet I still have not decided what that may be.
My wife has said that she would be (reluctantly) willing to help with the stoma if that became necessary, but I am not so sure that I would want to be in that dependent position. 
It would be a different proposition if I began losing my ability to think, because I have always thought that this would be a sign that it was time to depart this world. My wife and family know and agree with my reasoning on this subject, but as Self-Organised Death is still illegal in the UK, I would need to manage that one entirely on my own if they are not to be prosecuted for helping me.
I Have documented my views in my book 'SOD: Self-Organised Death' (2018) expressing that I feel it is a sad reflection on society when 'they' still want to to dictate and control what we should think and do - even when it comes to our own death.
Fortunately, I have had my departure organised for many years, so nobody is likely to be able to interfere when the time comes. It's just a pity that my family will not be able to be around when that happens. (Hopefully that won't be  for a few years yet!)
Best wishes

Bill

Jayne
Reply to Bill

YEs Bill - It is a sad fact that one needs to have everything in place - outside the UK for an active assisted dying to be undertaken so as to not have ANY reflection upon ones familiy or friends as and when - if ever - the need arises.

Self responsibility is not undertaken by many of us - I applaud your own indication that you have put this in place Bill - for I feel it is a very responsible action - and the ONLY action we are able to take to ensure that we do not end upp living a life passed where we are comfortable to remiain onthe planet.

In Simpatico

True empathy is rare - in this this respect you have mine Bill.

Hug

Jayne