Vitamin C Deficiency

Replies
Views
Hisbiscus

Another update. So when I was there at the rheumatologist she listened to me about all of my symptoms and she saw my hands. She said this makes me think of scurvy and asked me if I was eating enough fruit like oranges etc. Well. With the ileostomy I told her I cant eat oranges but that I used to drink orange juice and V8 . It's been quite a while as I got busy with work not thinking to pay more attention to my diet. So that day she ran a vitamin c  bloodwork test. It came back today and is pretty damn low at 7. My range is  deficiency. This kind of explains a lot of my symptoms as well.

Hair loss, Dry hair, dry skin cracking open and bleeding spontaneously, toenails and feet bleeding, vomit, diahrhea, weight loss, bleeding Gums, weakness, limbs locking up on me and not beung able to move them.   etc.....

I looked up scurvy and sure enough. Smart lady she is. If this vitamin C cures me then this was a simple fix .

Thought I'd post this important update to let other ostomates remember how important it is to pay attention to our diets. 

Jayne

Yes - 'we are what we eat' is a trueism!

Enjoy the remedy ..... a bit of TLC

Good luck

BW

Jayne

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,533 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

CrappyColon

I hope vitamin C is just what you need! I guess when PCPs aren’t seeing scurvy much it’s not a go to thought… but I wish one of the other doctors you’d seen would’ve thought like this one for your sake. I’ve been told rheumatologists are experts at putting the ‘puzzle’ pieces together and seeing a big picture. 

kittybou

Thank you!!!

warrior

This is why when u get regular blood work done, via your pcp,  request vitamin labs too. U have a right to that.

Minerals  are critical too.  ..zinc..b6 b12 Etc. At least once a year. Magnesium. So important. 

Sometimes it's the little things overlooked.

Advocate. You will be your best patient.😊

They come in easy to chew gummies and are tasty.

Got my vote there. 

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
IGGIE

Yes Vitamin C, and if you have an Ileostomy you need B12. I take a B12 tablet every day orange flavored and you just put it under your tongue. Regards IGGIE

Hisbiscus
Reply to CrappyColon

Exactly! My sister said I'm a pirate. Have not seen too much scurvy since the old pirate days

Hisbiscus
Reply to IGGIE

Oh you'd better belive Iggy that on my primary care appt in 2 weeks I'm having her check all my vitamins and minerals. 

Jayne
Reply to warrior

Warrior,

What are 'gummies' ? - So far as I know we don't have these in UK ? ? ? ?

TY

BW

J

kittybou
Reply to Jayne

Kinda like chewing on a piece of rubber shaped bear, with lots of sugar. Really really good!  Not as good as cigarettes, but a lot safer!!!

CrappyColon
Reply to Jayne

One example 😀

https://www.olly.com/?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw8diwBhAbEiwA7i_sJd4EVatYrFVpBurdExF9BTnTreibaiWhYRu_43FfMSfLEEB-YRrmExoCf4IQAvD_BwE

Hisbiscus
Reply to warrior

I just bought the pills. I have to.take 500 mcg 2 x day plus juices etc. Still feeling like crap. This kicked my butt worse than any illness I been through. 

yayas6gc
Question. I have had my Ileostomy for 14 years. Why can’t oranges be eaten? I eat them all the time. Please advise. Thanks much.
warrior

Uhh I guess...you have to peel them first.😳🤣🤦‍♂️

Sorry.. couldn't resist.

You meant oranges as fruit in lieu of tablets.  Tablets I think  are less mess. Less acidic. 

My 2 cents worth.