Stoma vs eliquist

Replies
Views
vegan2share

Hi. I have blood in my bag from time to time. Sometimes gross, other times little.  I sent stoma pic to surgeon and he said stoma was very good.  He expects periodic bleeding due to the eliquist 5mg 2x a day

any thoughts/comments??

bob

Beachboy

As long as your surgeon/doctor is aware and says it's OK.  

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,601 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Happytostillbehere

Been taking 5 mg two times a day eloquist for about a year and a half and I've had no blood coming from stoma.

Happytostillbehere

Little follow-up to my previous post. In the year and a half that I've been on this site don't think I've ever heard of anybody saying they had blood in the bag. Fact that eloquist is a strong blood thinner I'd be concerned where the blood is coming from and the fact that it's not a one-time thing.

aTraveler

I don't think that is normal. I take 5 mg of Eliquist twice a day and I have never had blood in my bag. For reference  I have a colostomy. Do you cut the hole on your wafer or use Pre-Cut ones? The possibility may be your wafer is too tight around your stoma. You may have to investigate further.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
warrior
Reply to aTraveler

Good point on the wafer cutting up the stoma.. he mentioned pieces..gross stuff. Eeeeek. !

I do recall when I had my large colon and blood clots in legs, being on a blood thinner made me bleed through my ass.  

Any blood in the bag needs further investigation. 

aTraveler
Reply to warrior

Are you no longer on blood thinner?

I had to have two blood clots surgically removed from my lungs. I still have smaller blood clots in the smaller veins of my lungs which the Dr. said would cause more damage to remove. In addition, I have blood clots in both legs and one arm.

I was told I would be on the blood thinner the rest of my life.

warrior

@ A- traveler....Xarelto was my poison.

Like you clots in legs..and lungs..they put that ivf thing in me..  the xarelto was reducing the lung clots..was at a point I couldn't breathe well. Scarey shit not knowing anything abt clots thinking heart attack.

Started massive rectal bleeding a few months later ..had to stop it.. was then put on humira..remicade.. a host of biologicals  no more..blood thinners after that.... there are a variety of thinners out there. You just gotta find the right one..clots totally suck.  Didn't even know they are associated to  IBD people..

Are u familiar with the filter? Did they advise u of it?  

aTraveler

@ Warrior, I had an Inferior Vena Cava (IVC) filter placement prior to my colostomy surgery. I was on blood thinner (Eliquis) due to having developed blood clots after a previous surgery. In order to perform the colostomy surgery, I had to be taken off blood thinner. The IVC filter was inserted to catch any clots traveling from my legs before they could reach my lungs. It was needed because I was off the blood thinner. After the surgery and I became stable again, I was placed back on the blood thinner. The surgeon responsible for my care advised me to have the IVC filter removed in ~3 months — I followed his advice and had it removed after 3 months. He said many people never remove their filter but the filter or a piece of the filter could break loose and travel to the heart or lungs causing serious injury or death. In the past these filters were permanent but the newer ones are removable. Mine  was renewable therefore I could get it removed. The removal was uneventful and no adverse effects afterwards.

aTraveler
Reply to warrior

This is what my IVC filter looked like.

warrior

Exactly what I was told..abt having it removed..and..I waited too long so decided not to have it removed..surgeon said it wasn't an ideal removal so forget abt it.

I did. 

Until u mentioned failures. How is wears out or could break pieces off.

with all the cat scans i have had, i am sure a teck would see some..say something.

Frightening, isn't it?

As a filter, you'd think it would clogg, right..then wait?

Yes I have heard people keeping theirs and no issues.

I thought having the filter meant u could wean off the thinners.

??..well it's been a few  years. No issues with clots. Lots of scans prior to kenn butt surgery..

They do note the filter. 

Man, you are definitely going through the wringer..

Your photo of your filter..it's all clean.. was there any mention how full clotted it was? I believe that is made titanium steel.

Not sure about mesh..or netting? Not worried abt break off pieces. Just glad it's doing it job and I guess clots caught, dissolve over time ...

aTraveler
Reply to warrior

@Warrior when they removed it there were a few clots captured in it. They cleaned them out and asked if I would like to keep it. I said sure why not. For your information, my primary care doctor said I was the first person she heard of having theirs removed.

warrior

Whoa..since when are u allowed...even asked to keep parts removed from your body? Damn..would love to have been given back my ass since it's always getting bitten. 

You are certainly loved by yur doc.