Replies
Views
GrannyRocks

Need help dealing with life with new ostomy. In hospital for 5 weeks or so (can't remember ) came home two days ago and having coping issues. Never thought I'd spend my "golden" years changing an ostomy bag all day 😟đŸ„ș

Thanks 

Caz67

Welcome to the site, you have come to the best site for advice and support. Be gentle on yourself it's a lot to take in. Xx 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,600 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

I presume the ostomy was given to you to 1) improve your life. OR 2) to save your life. Or 3) as a temporary thing while things heal. Why are any of those reasons hard to cope with, it’s there to better you in some form. As with any major medical issue, you can do 1 of 2 things when you get an ostomy. Accept it, adjust, and move on with life. Or, let it pull you down, get into your mind, and overtake your life. It’s your life and your choice on how you wanna deal with it. 

w30bob

Hi GrannyRocker,

It sure is a life changer, eh?  It takes about a year, give or take, to get fully acclimated to ins and outs of the ostomate world, and probably a good 4 years to truly 100% accept your new you without bullshitting yourself, and get back to being the incredible person you were before someone gave you a front-butt.  Hindsight is 20/20, and when you look back at your ostomate adventure you'll be proud of yourself for what you overcame.  It's like everything traumatic in life......shocking at first, then you manage to cope.....and then you give the world the middle finger and excel,  despite your impediment.  You WILL come out the other side a better stronger person.

;O)

Hisbiscus

Hi Granny,

I'm a granny too at 61years old.  The thing is, is that the ostomy is there now. Not sure why you had to get yours but I'm sure for a good reason. Learn all you can about taking care of the ostomy , your diet and yourself and you should have no.problems carrying on like everyone else does. There are support garments to wear under your cloths to hold things together for more comfort and odor drops to go in the bag for confidence.  Don't let it get you down. There are plenty of us  out there unbeknowest to anyone.  This site has a world of information. Ask questions if you run into problems and we are all here for support. You landed in a good spot here and welcome!! Your not alone.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
eefyjig

Hi Grannyrocks, Bob put it very well, all of it. Nobody starts this process in the, “I can do this, I’m alive, I’m strong” stage. We hit rock bottom first, then we hopefully rise. Five weeks is a long time to be in the hospital. You’re still reeling. We’re here to empathize and offer help. You’re not alone.

aTraveler

GrannyRocks sounds like someone that wouldn't have coping issues. 😊 On a more serious note, what are your coping issues: leak? skin irritation? smells? frequent pouch changes?

You mentioned you spent ~5 weeks in the hospital. Was most of this time before or after the ostomy? If after, I assume the ostomy nurse was able to figure how best to manage your ostomy and train you how to manage it. If not you probably have not had the time to learn to properly care for your ostomy.

If you have only been home for 2 days then it is expected that you would have an adjustment period. You didn't state whether you had an ileostomy or colostomy — if you have an ileostomy then you will have to empty your  pouch fairly frequently, alternatively if you have a colostomy you will need to change it less frequently.

The number of times you change the pouch will also lessen as your digestive tract heals and your diet settles. You will learn what foods can lead to constipation or diarrhea. You will also learn that foods such as chocolate can trigger a bowel movement. You will learn when you typically have bowel movements. Most importantly you will learn that eating triggers the digestive system into action and most times will lead to a bowel movement. For example, If am going out on a social outing, I will snack on something to trigger a bowel movement, put on an ostomy vest or a wrap to support the pouch with the knowledge that I won't have a bowel movement for a while.

To learn how foods affect your ostomy you should get a mobile phone app such as mySymptoms to keep a diary of the foods you eat and the effect on your ostomy output.

The hospital usually has you using a transparent pouch so they can monitor how your ostomy is performing. You can change this and use and opaque pouch if you prefer not to see your output. You can try different products from the same or different manufacturers — they will send you free samples to try. Don't hesitate to try different appliances (wafer and pouch) for the right products can greatly simplify your life.

Finally your stoma will probably shrink so don't be alarmed. If you are willing to learn and experiment, you will still be able to enjoy your golden years.

AlexT
Reply to eefyjig

I did. On my very first appointment with my surgeon she said you’ll probably have a bag for the rest of your life and your butt will be sewn shut. I said
.ok. She said
.you’re ok with that? I said
.if that’s what gonna keep me alive, what do I gotta do? She said
.i’m not used to getting that response.  Don’t get me wrong, I got sick, lost a bunch of muscle weight, crawled into my own little world for a few months but never felt sorry for myself or kept having a negative thought process like I read on here all the time. You got one life, either enjoy it or don’t, it’s 100% your choice. Nobody heals by moping around and being scared to do normal life things. You wanna heal, get on getting on and put your mind in the place it needs to be. One door closes while another one opens, step thru it and see what’s next, life is that simple. 

gentlejohn

What kind of ostomy? colostomy, ileostomy or urostomy?  First of all, you should not be changing the ostomy all day.   Yes emptying it will be necessary during the day.  Are you seeing an ostomy nurse?  Home health care?  Where you live there should be a WOCN nurse in close proximity.  Ostomies in many situations are life saving and allow people to return to a normal life.    

Beachboy

Hello GrannyRocks,

Welcome to our little corner of the internet world.  I read your profile.  You underwent chemo that damaged your intestines.  Are you still doing chemo?  Is the battery you refer to for cancer treatment or your ostomy?

There's a world of fellow Ostemates on this web site.  All have unique stories of the rocky road they endured, ending up with a stoma.  

There's 2 parts to it.  Physical and Emotional. 

The physical part of us eventually heals.  There are occasional set backs.  But, thats what doctors and hospitals are for.  There are a bewildering amount of ostomy products available.  I remember looking at an ostomy product catalog  and wondering "what the hell is all this stuff, and when would I use it?"  So, there is a steep learning curve in that respect.  But a couple of months later, it all made sense.  

It takes time and self determination to recover emotionally.  Having a support network of family, friends, and medical professionals are important.

It just takes time.  

Hang in there, take it one day at a time.

Morning glory

Welcome to the site. You are not alone and can and will be able to handle your ostomy life. One step at a time. This will get easier.

Eddiek19

Everyone has said it well. I’m now five months post surgery for a colostomy and I can say the first two were extremely difficult. I had just completed throat cancer treatment three days before emergency surgery for a perforated bowel, so there was a lot going on! It is a process and expect to have some very difficult, dark moments and then moments where you think you have it all figured out - in the same day! I promise it does get easier. I wish I had found this forum 4.75 months ago though. Keep your head up and really be patient with yourself and take it one moment at the time - you will one day be at the place where you can simply look back and remember the difficulties you ONCE faced.

Caz67
Reply to Beachboy

Hi BB 

I can totally relate to seeing and reading about different products to help however I learned most of it on here. I think if I'm being honest I still don't know all of them and what they do. Xx