reconnect surgery

Replies
Views
tnmontan9721

spoke with my surgeon's pa.  she said reconnect/reversal is worst surgery than the original colostomy surgery.  Has anyone else been told that?

Footie97

In my case reversal was harder than ostomy surgery due to adhesions and scar tissue. Overall glad I did it but it was a long road

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,577 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

DexieB

My reversal was much easier.  Just my experience

Newhere

I agree with DexieB, The reversal for me was nothing compared to my first sugery, In every aspect, less pain, quicker healing time ect. 

JVM261

Every nurse I spoke to at the hospital said reversal is easier for most, like the surgery part. I believe that. The recovery part in my mind is frightening. But my doctor said I should be fine. 17 cm plus of large colon found on second exam. But ostomy nurse said no one is the same-we all have different recoveries. You go through it then you know, until then as I tell myself and as I’ll tell you we take it day by day and hope for the best.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
warrior

Five people with reversals will say positive things while another five may not. Likely the same asking doctors, too.

Of the many things anyone should learn from talking to those who've " been there and done it" is.....no two ppl React. Recover.. the same. The type of surgery once agreed upon could drastically change in a blink in the O.R.

That changes recovery....big time.

we went in laposcope for example..it went south. Had open surgery.. it wasn't a reversal .noo. perm ileo. 

Ouch.

One might say surgery was worse while recovery was better. Vice a  versa too.

Hearing  a P.A. talking like that...to you...should not influence you. Talk to the surgeon. Get 2 ND opinion.

Ask the members here details..

Now that you are here, you can decide somewhat fact over fiction.  You have time to research this.

Some of us never had the time and like me, some of our colons were toxic needed complete removal. . 

Good luck to you. 

aTraveler

It is hard to Imagine a PA making a general statement like that. The reversal surgery will be harder than the colostomy surgery for some and easier than the colostomy surgery for others. The PA may have been addressing your case in particular — a case where the PA is privy to information from the surgeon as it pertains to you. In my particular instance my surgeons advised me that my reversal would be more difficult than my original surgeries. This was based on the difficulty my body had in healing, fistulas, blood clots, and internal hemorrhaging. I was in the hospital and rehab for over 3 months. Both of the surgeons said they would not be willing to undertake the reversal and that they would instead refer me to a surgeon that specializes in complex reversals. Based on the conversations I had with my surgeons, I have decided not to pursue a reversal. Each case is different, therefore you must have a sincere talk with your surgeon(s) to determine what is best for you.

tnmontan9721

Thank you for all replies!

Kimmy050263
Reply to tnmontan9721

Hello!  I am scheduled for the reversal surgery on May 2nd.  My surgeon has told me it will be nothing like the original surgery, she said it will be done laproscopically, she will not have to open me up again to reconnect things.  I have an appt with her on Monday to go over things.   Every time I see her she states that the reconnection surgery will be a piece of cake compared to what I went through to disconnect things.  I had a large vertical incision and surgery took over 4 hours.  We shall see!  I am optimistic and trust in my care team. 

Dogen\'s bag

My colostomy surgery was a very difficult one to recover from but then it was due to an emergency situation from a stricture caused by diverticulitis.  My reversal recovery was much faster and easier, I was also prepared for it and the outcome which of course was not the case in for the first one.

My reversal was laparoscopic as well (looks like stab wounds all over the belly lol) and I believe that helped my recovery.   

Whatever decision you make, I wish you you only the best.  :-)